1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freddy Adu: the soccer version of Danny Almonte?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same height? Yes, I was.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Granted I'm female, but I stopped growing height-wise at around 12. Now I was not the same weight at 18 that I was at 12, but then I wasn't a professional soccer player who ran for several hours a day.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've been on this site too long. I read it the first time and thought you spelled Wlat wrong.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I was the same height, but weighed less at age 20. Of course, I was one fat 14-year-old, who lost about 20 pounds in his first football season.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm the same height I was at 14. Sadly not the same weight.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Still waiting for someone to explain how Adu can be equated to Danny Almonte, who lied about his age to dominate younger kids. The question stands: did Adu ever play soccer at a level where age mattered?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

FTR, Almonte didn't lie about his age. His father did.
    While it's possible Adu isn't the age he says he is, isn't it also possible that all the people who thought he was going to be amazing were just wrong? The best basketball player I saw growing up was an absolute beast from fifth grade and until he got to high school - it happens when you're 6 feet tall with the speed of a guard. Then he got to high school and was just another ordinary HS player.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, so Almonte kept trying to turn himself in and nobody would listen? He was a kid. I blame the parent more than him. But let's not go saying he didn't lie, too.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, yes. When you're playing in Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups for the U.S., your age does tend to matter.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

That's a pretty sweeping generalization to make. Like some of the others on this thread, I'm the same height, but about 20 pounds heavier than early high school.

All in all, this was a pretty irresponsible piece. Question Adu's lack of development all you want ... it's a legit issue. But the age thing? Either prove it in the piece or leave it out.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Looks like Mark Ziegler, usually a pretty solid soccer journo, got a little bored.

Freddy Adu is a complete non-factor for U.S. soccer. His age is immaterial. No evidence has surfaced that he is older than he says he is, and besides, it really doesn't matter anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted