1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred McGriff: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's time to take a new, long look at the Crime Dog, knowing what we know now about many of his peers.

493 HRs.
    134 OPS-plus.
    .377 OBP

I'm having difficulty constructing an argument against, to be honest.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcgrifr01.shtml

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Damn right I'm a Hall of Famer.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hall of very good, not very great. I've debated his numbers and the Crime Dog doesn't merit immortal status. Great guy. Just doesn't get a free ride to Cooperstown.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another in an endless line of candidates for the Hall of Really, Really Good.
    If that gets you in the Hall of Fame, something is wrong.

Really, really good for a long, long time.

Not a Hall of Famer. Some All-Star games, four times in Top Ten of MVP voting? If that's Hall of Fame, well, we sure have shitty standards

But, hey, at least it is another Hall of Fame thread!!

5. Dick Whitman

Yeah, it's so untimely considering: (1) The HOF just had Induction Day; and (2) the A-Rod scandal.

6. Moderator1

So pick someone who might actually be a Hall of Famer

7. Dick Whitman

McGriff might be.

He had around 20-25 percent of the vote so far. Same as Tim Raines had his first few years on the ballot. Tim Raines is going to be a Hall of Famer. Bert Blyleven had 14 percent one of his early years on the ballot. Bert Blyleven is a Hall of Famer.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But I'm a Major League Super Star! You can't keep me out of the Hall of Fame!

9. Moderator1

From Wiki, so take that into consideration: He received 21.5% of the vote in his first year of eligibility. In 2011, McGriff received 104 votes (17.9 percent of total votes cast) for induction.

I don't see him making that big of a jump and don't think he should. Heck, I was around some of those Braves teams. Hell of a player, decent to deal with in some of my limited exposure. But don't you have to WIN a few MVPs? We need to raise standards, not lower them.

10. Dick Whitman

I guess I'm speaking to a larger question: Considering how many of a guy like McGriff's peers are tainted by steroids, does someone like McGriff deserve consideration? I know you don't care about this, but he has a higher OPS-plus than Tony Gwynn.

I think the biggest thing that hurts McGriff is that he played for so many teams that he feels like a journeyman.

Also, I think he's interesting because he barely missed a couple milestones: 493 home runs, 2,490 hits. If that's 500 HRs and 2,500 hits, what are his vote totals like? I get that 2,500 isn't the coup de grace, but it's a nice round number that people like.

And people do care about that stuff. The other day, I heard a voter saying he needs Ichiro to get to 3,000 hits.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd like to bet folding money that not every position player currently in baseball's Hall of Fame won an MVP award during his career (including only those who played since the MVP award was created).

I'm not a baseball guy, nor have I looked this up. I'm just guessing. But I feel pretty secure about that guess.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent point. He was very good. Just not great. No crime in that except he is nicknamed The Crime Dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted