1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freaks and Geeks - late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Absolutely love the show and was probably one of the few actually watching it when is was on NBC.

My top 3 moments:
    3. Lindsay's burst of laughter while Daniel tries to explain to the math teacher why he's always been a bad learner since they told him he was in "Track 2" in junior high.
    2. The scene when the gang mistakenly goes to the southern rock laser light show and Ken and Tuba Girl kiss during Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone."
    1. Hands down, little Weir slow dancing with his high school crush during "Come Sail Away" in the pilot and not knowing what to do when Styx changed the tempo on him. I don't know what it is that makes it so great, but it's one of the best single moments on a TV show in the past decade.

After being pissed for a longtime the show was cut as early as it was, I think I'm actually happy it ended when it did and how it did. Like the Sopranos, it leaves everyone curious. And who knows, maybe Apatow and company will someday revisit the characters in a film. Certainly not out of the realm of possibilities with the sustained success the DVDs have had.

And yeah, while the characters are without a doubt very stereotypical in many ways, I think the people playing them definitely gave them and the show the longevity it's had after its brief run.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. Sam's face is just priceless when the song shifts. He looks like he can't decide if he wants to cry or laugh. That was my favorite scene, by far, until "You'll Accompany Me."

And how Cindy (I think?) turned out to be someone Sam couldn't even stomach being around was incredibly well-done, and accurate. There's so rarely anything resembling depth to the popular kids in HS and Apatow nailed it.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Although the head cheerleader (Vicki?) turned out to at least be willing to listen to what Bill had to say, and then make out with him.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, and my favorite scene was when Lindsey caught Millie and her boyfriend kissing. It was just the last thing you expected to see (although that may have been a deleted scene. I can't remember now).

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

recently purchased the box dvd set. waiting for eldest shockey boe my to come home for thanksgiving break so we can begin watching with the boys. thinking they'll love it -- a college soph, h.s. junior and h.s. freshman. hoping we can get through many eps from thamksgiving, christmas and between-semester breaks.

great. great, GREAT show the mrs. and i loved. 8) 8) 8)

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The DVDs have some of the best commentary tracks you'll hear on any DVD.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I watched this on a box set borrowed from JR's kid. Want a set of my own now.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Started watching this show again from the beginning because of this thread.

Can't believe how many stars were in this that I didn't know of the first time around. The Weir kid also looks like he is 12 years old when the show started.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Shia Lebouf is in the episode where Sam gets to be the school mascont. Shia is the kid that gets replaced due to a broken arm.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Herbert

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Karen from the Office just made a cameo in episode four.

I also didn't realize that Bill was in knocked up with Seth Rogen.

And that Jason Segl was in Dead Man on Campus. This is crazy.

Also, the chubby blonde chick is in Cougar Town.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There has never been a greater show that had only 18 episodes or fewer

Favorite moments
    5. Daniel playing Dungeons and Dragons with the geeks
    4. The aftermath of Bill eating the peanut
    3. Bill playing Seven Minutes of Heaven
    2. Sam and "Sail Away"
    1. I spout uncontrollably in the last episode, from the second Lindsay says goodbye to her mom onward.

And, love the paraphrase of the Deadheads' description of American Beauty, and experiencing something for the first time again.

Draft saved Draft deleted