1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freaks and Geeks - late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Oct 25, 2009.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR's son loaned me the complete "Freaks and Geeks" on DVD and I am head over heels in love with this show. I have yet to find a better depiction of high school as I remember it. After watching the last episode I felt overwhelmingly cheated because I couldn't find out what happened to these characters.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Welcome aboard. I love that show. When I first bought the series I watched it non-stop for months.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I just finished it this weekend too, HC. I'm sorry I can't watch it again for the first time. It was amazing. I'll probably break down and buy the DVDs at some point, maybe as a belated birthday present.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

"I'm sorry I can't watch it again for the first time." What a perfect description.

And HC's is as well...this, too, is exactly how I remember high school, except my sister was younger than me and beginning to hang with the wrong crowd, not older. Just a perfect fucking show, from its first breath to its last. The scene where Haverchuk makes out with the cheerleader may be my favorite scene ever. It was so perfect, with Bob Seger's "You'll Accompany Me" as the soundtrack, that it almost made me cry. Honest to Tebow.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I recently watched the series on DVD. Liked it OK, didn't love it. Probably would have liked it a lot more if I watched it 10 years ago when it originally came out. I was more amused picking out all the people in it and figuring out what they're doing now. Thought there would be more laugh-out-loud moments. There weren't for me.

Recently saw an episode of Bones where the guy who played Sam Weir was featured prominently. He's a pretty good actor. And a pretty guy.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He's a regular on "Bones" now playing the psychiatrist Dr. Sweet.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, I knew NO ONE in high school who was anything like any of these characters. It was like a bad dream of what old people thought HS was like to me.

I'm so sorry for all of you who knew losers like that.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Hey...I WAS that loser! :D

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've seen only bits and pieces of the show, but I suppose I'll get the DVD set some day.

I went to high school in Michigan a few years earlier than the setting of F&G's. ("Dazed and Confused" was set the summer after my HS graduation, and it was indeed very realistic to the way high school was in the mid-70s.)
    "Detroit Rock City" and "Crossing the Bridge" are also very similar (the last particularly for me).

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought the fashion wasn't indicative of what people really wore in the '70s. It was too generic. I never got the feel that it was set in 1979 or 1980 or whenever, except for when they talked about certain bands.

I liked the dad more and more as the season went on. He stayed pretty true to his character. I think the characters too often acted how the plot needed them to act, especially Daniel. He's this stoner slacker dude, and too often he gets to be the wise prophet and takes the anti side when all his friends are pissed about something. One example I remember is when Nick thinks his dad is going to send him off to the army and Lindsey is talking to Daniel about it, and Daniel says something like maybe that's the best thing for Nick. Too often they gave Daniel lines like this and moments where he acted like the stoner Confuscius.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This was a great TV show when it was on.

Draft saved Draft deleted