1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frazz blasts the sports section

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Dec 4, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

uh, has anyone here ever heard of the food section? not the same as a daily sport section, but restaurants get covered. food sections today are far more extensive then just 10-15 years ago. in a lot of bigger cities they even have what could be equated with a transactions section - x left this place to start a new joint ... this joint closed after 4 years ... this joint is under new management ... that sort of thing.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What's this strip called, "Calvin and the Coach"? I dunno...seems kinda creepy, especially the part about beanie weenies.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Restaurants also get more than their fair share of love in alt weeklies and the like as well as city and regional magazines. There's more agate in those fishwrappers than in the sports page.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Back in the late 90s, I dated the news editor of an alt weekly. She told me about how the staff got lots of free food and alcohol from local establishments in exchange for favorable reviews. I wasn't a journalist back then, but I knew this wasn't ethical. She shrugged off my complaints...those alt weekly types at that paper were way, way too impressed with how influential and cool they were. A shame...she was a nice gal in general and as smart as anyone I've ever dated, but that job really went to her head.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

It's actually a pretty entertaining strip, one of my favorites along with Pearls Before Swine.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Show me 60,000 people at a restaurant on Sunday and I'll show you a big-ass food section on Monday.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

End of thread.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

FYI: The guy who does Frazz is married to a former sports writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted