1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 4, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

FRAUD has a long and storied history at SportsJournalists.com, as you know. Technically, you may be correct, but the rant isn't as fun that way.

2. poindexter

Another thread about the BCS losses would be quite fun as well. I don't think any other BCS conference which received a spot in the National Championship game, as well as an additional BCS berth, can top the Big 10's App State-North Dakota State exacta. But maybe someone will come up with one.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, when did Troy, Florida Atlantic, and Louisiana-Lafayette join the SEC? Because between them, they played seven SEC games.

Let me play!! Here's some of the SEC's impressive victories:

GEORGIA
    Oklahoma State
    Western Carolina
    Troy

AUBURN
    Kansas State
    New Mexico State
    Tennessee Tech

ARKANSAS
    Troy
    North Texas
    Chattanooga
    Florida International

FLORIDA
    Western Kentucky
    Troy
    Florida Atlantic

KENTUCKY
    Eastern Kentucky
    Kent State
    Louisville
    Florida Atlantic

LSU
    Virginia Tech
    Middle Tennessee State
    Tulane
    Louisiana Tech

MISSISSIPP
    Memphis
    Louisiana Tech
    Northwestern State

VANDERBILT
    Richmond
    Eastern Michigan
    Miami OH

ALABAMA
    Western Carolina
    Houston
    (and don't forget its impressive loss at home to Louisiana-Monroe!)

MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Tulane
    Gardner-Webb
    UAB

SOUTH CAROLINA
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    South Carolina State
    North Carolina

TENNESSEE
    Southern Miss
    Arkansas State
    Louisiana-Lafayette

I'm not going to count them up, but on a glance it looks like more SEC games against I-AA teams than Big Ten games against I-AA teams. Western Carolina, Tennessee Tech, Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Northwestern State, Richmond, Western Carolina again, Gardner-Webb, South Carolina State -- I may be wrong about the status of some of these schools, but they all sound like lower echelon to me!

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Headbutt: Yeah, FSU beat Alabama. But beating a 6-6 SEC team on a neutral field impresses me no more than Virginia Tech beating a 7-5 East Carolina team to open the season.

5. poindexter

TSP - I count five BCS wins.. same as Big 10 (though a little better quality)

FRAUDS!

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Someone asked for context? Here you go:

ACC non-conference victories:
    Boston College-Army, UMass, Bowling Green, at Notre Dame
    Clemson-La. Monroe (pesky, just ask Bama); Furman, Central Michigan, South Carolina
    Wake Forest-Army, Navy, Vanderbilt. Loss to nebraska
    Florida State-UAB, at Colorado, Alabama. Loss to Florida
    Maryland-Villanova, at FIU, at Rutgers. Loss to West Virginia
    NC State-Wofford, at East Carolina. Losses to UCF, Louisville
    Virginia Tech-East Carolina, Ohio, William & Mary. Loss at LSU
    Virginia-Pittsburgh, at Middle Tennessee, Connecticut. Loss at Wyoming.
    Georgia Tech-at Notre Dame, Samford, Army. Loss to Georgia.
    North Carolina-James Madison. Losses at East Carolina, at South Florida, vs. South Carolina.
    Miami-Marshall, FIU, Texas A&M. Loss at Oklahoma.
    Duke-at Northwestern. Losses vs. UConn, at Navy, at Notre Dame.

7-12 vs. BCS schools (not counting Notre Dame). 7 non-Division I victories. 2 losses vs Conference USA

SEC
    Georgia-Oklahoma State, Western Carolina, Troy, at Georgia Tech
    Tennessee-Southern Miss, Arkansas State, ULaLa. Loss at California
    Florida-Western Kentucky, Troy, Florida Atlantic, Florida State
    Kentucky-Eastern Kentucky, Kent State, Louisville, Florida Atlantic
    South Carolina-ULaLa, S.C. State, at North Carolina. Loss vs. Clemson.
    Vanderbilt-Richmond, Eastern Michigan, Miami (Ohio). Loss to Wake Forest
    LSU-Virginia Tech, Middle Tennessee, at Tulane, Louisiana Tech
    Auburn-Kansas State, New Mexico State, Tennessee Tech. Loss to South Florida
    Arkansas-Troy, North Texas, Chattanooga, FIU
    Miss. State-at Tulane, Gardner-Webb, UAB. Loss at West Virginia.
    Alabama-Western Carolina, Houston. Losses vs. Florida State, UL-Monroe (heh).
    Ole Miss-at Memphis, Louisiana Tech, Northwestern State. Loss vs. Missouri.

7-7 vs. BCS competition. 9 non-Division I-A wins. 6-0 vs. Conference USA. 11-1 vs. Sun Belt.

Pac-10

USC-Idaho, at Nebraska, at Notre Dame
    Arizona State-San Jose, Colorado, San Diego State
    Oregon State-Utah, Idaho State. Loss at Cincinnati.
    Oregon-Houston, at Michigan, Fresno State
    UCLA-BYU. Losses at Utah, vs. Notre Dame
    Arizona-Northern Arizona. Losses at BYU, vs. New Mexico
    California-Tennessee, at Colorado State, Louisiana Tech
    Stanford-San Jose State. Losses vs. TCU, Notre Dame
    Wazzu-San Diego State, Idaho. Loss at Wisconsin.
    Washington-at Syracuse, Boise State. Loss at Hawaii.

5-2 vs. BCS (not counting Notre Dame). 2 wins vs. non-Division I-A teams. 4-4 vs. Mountain West. 6-1 vs. Western Athletic.

Continue discussion.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Thank you, TSP, for the illustration. There's some definate "pot calling kettle" hypocrisy to the SEC fanboys bitching about Ohio State's non-conference schedule. In fact, I daresay the SEC has an even MORE PATHETIC list of patsies than Poindexter's Big 10 List (Gardner Webb, Chattanooga, North Tx, Ark. St., Western Carolina, Richmond, Troy, Kent State, Tenn Tech, Western Kentucky, Northwestern State, etc.... are you kidding me?). Yes, OSU scheduled Akron and Youngstown St. (and a Pac 10 team), and LSU scheduled Middle Tennessee State, Tulane and La Tech. BOTH guilty.

News Flash for Poindexter: its not the Big 10 that has learned to game the BCS system by scheduling non-conf patsies, its EVERY BCS conference. The SEC has no wins over the Big 10 this year and vice versa because they won't play each other if it means going to the other's house, its much easier to load up on home games against the nearest Sun Belt or MAC patsy.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

[giggling at the fanbois trying to convince everybody else their team got robbed]

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I have no dog in this fight, but the popcorn is delicious. Want some?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The thing is, the BCS will make the matchups vs. the Richmonds, Northwestern States, Indiana States, Gardner-Webb's, et al even MORE attractive in the future. If you can schedule eight home games, bring in three patsies, beat an average BCS foe, and run the table (or just about) in your conference, you make the BCS title game. Just ask OSU. Or Kansas.

You will see even LESS AND LESS Ohio States vs. Texas (like last year) or Ohio State vs. USC (like next year) or LSU vs. Virginia Tech. Why in the world would you play a team that can knock you right out of title contention if you don't have to?

You'll hear the stupid argument, "Well, this just makes the regular season mean something" over and over again. Meanwhile, it means something to this pantywaist schools who get a paycheck to get clobbered while we see hardly any meaningful matchups. Over in basketball, where the regular season supposedly means nothing, you get a Top 10 matchup about every night.

11. poindexter

I have no problem with anything anyone has posted here. Rather would pick through the meat than just say that OSU should be there because they have one loss.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed. Although I'll throw in, as a USC fan, that the Trojans beat Idaho, Notre Dame and Nebraska for their 3 non-conference wins.

It's all relative.

Draft saved Draft deleted