1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fratello fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Dec 28, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no idea what I was thinking, but I thought Fratello was crapcanned by the Cavs in the late '80s and had been out of work since then. He'd only been out of work since '99 when the Grizzlies hired him in 2004. Seemed much longer given how many jobs it seemed he was up for during that time.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tony Barone. Holy shit was he entertaining to watch on the sideline when he was at Texas A&M.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fratello would be good for Seattle right now. The Sonics' defense is god-fucking-awful. My grandma could've scored 18 points on layups last night. Hill needs to be shitcanned and Fratello should take the job if it happens.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Someone please tell me what Fratello has won in his career, even though at one point he had one of the league's top five players (Wilkins) and a nice supporting cast (Willis, et al) in ATL.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Fratello is a under rated coach. He is a very good technical coach with a good understand of defenses. I am sure he will land on his feet again. I look forward to the Czar joining Steve Kerr and Marv in the booth.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Thank you. The man had one of the most talented teams in the league for a stretch and...nothing came of it.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There are three reasons:

1. Bird and McHale
    2. The Bad Boys
    3. Some guy named Jordan

Atlanta was very good from the mid-80s to the early 90s, but not nearly as good as the Celts, Pistons or Bulls.

8. KP

KP Active Member

When will Mike rejoin Marv?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Points 1 and 2 are very good, but how far did Fratello's teams go in the playoffs? They went to the conference finals once maybe? Did they even win any division titles? I just never saw why he was considered a good coach.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At the same stage in their careers, there's little discernible difference between Fratello and Larry Brown.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Larry's taller.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I was geographically speaking, of course. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted