1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Thomas, slam dunk HOF now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

39 HR, 114 RBI this season for a division winner after we all thought his career was over. Probable top five in MVP voting.

HOF, right?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Certainly. If not for a few years he missed with injuries, he'd be well past 500 HRs (and he's never been linked to steroids, even by rumors), his lifetime BA is still near .300, and he was not just great, but dominant, during his prime, which included two MVPs.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. Not slam-dunk on the level of Tom Seaver/Nolan Ryan 98th-percentile, but no question that the Big Hurt is a Hall of Famer. His dominance was unquestioned in his prime.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He'll get in, but I don't think this season swung any votes.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pre-McGwire/Sosa, this guy was the man through the 1990s.

Dominant in his era, etc.

HOFer. I'd vote him first ballot.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Perhaps if can lead the A's to a World Series title this year -- his second ring in a row and first as a player instead of being a mere bystander for the White Sox last postseason -- that would seal the deal. Thomas' actions today provide a nice start to this postseason.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would have said "maybe," then I looked at the career ... back-to-back MVPs, followed by his finest all-around season six years later -- and he finishes second that year to a 'roids guy in the MVP voting.

I'd vote for him, first year.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

His down years will keep him from making it on the first ballot.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

True. He could end up retiring the same year as Glavine, Maddux, Bonds and/or Clemens the way things are going.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed he's not a slam dunk, but if he is on the same ballot as Bonds, I'd wager he gets more votes...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, in that scenario, the guy I would be interested in is Glavine.

He's obviously a Hall of Famer. I don't think anyone would ever dispute that.

Five-time 20-game winner, two-time Cy Young winner (6x in the top 3 in voting), World Series MVP, 10 All-Star appearances, .603 career winning percentage ... and, of course, he'll get No. 300 next season.

But would he get his 75% if Maddux and Clemens (and/or Bonds) were on the ballot? His numbers aren't quite as superior as theirs, even though there's no question that Glav is headed to Cooperstown.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

The A's have one don't-let-him-beat-us hitter, and the Twins let him beat them. And Frank was a HOFer before this season, but leading this ordinary offense into the playoffs sure doesn't hurt his on-the-fence support.

Draft saved Draft deleted