1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank DeFord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I second the bobby knight article

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I sat next to Deford at women's basketball at the 96 olympics and I count that as among the biggest thrill I had during that cursed event, right up there with seeing Michael Johnson run ahead of a flashbulb wave. The comments that he is exceedingly nice are spot on.

as for the 'do, I always thought it made him look like the editor from The Daily Planet ...

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Paulie Walnuts parallel remains irresistible.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yes. Infrastructure. Used at their will.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Highly recommend each of Double Down's links, especially "The Boxer and the Blonde," which opens SI's Fifty Years of Great Writing. And I'll add the piece that closes it, "The Best There Ever Was".

He's speaking at Chautauqua at the end of June. I've already asked for a vacation day.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like they jumped out of a plane without a parachute. Somebody will catch me . . . won't they?

Call it "business". Call it "infrastructure." I call it stupid and hopelessly shortsighted.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Toughest Coach There Ever Was was my favorite Deford piece. And I actually think he stole his look from Grandpa Munster.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Run, don't walk, to your local library and find a copy of Deford's "The World's Tallest Midget." It's a compilation of his best work.

And one of its stories, "The Toughest Coach There Ever Was," remains to this day my all-time favorite sports story. Which, as Deford is quick to credit, was based on a newspaper story written by the Clarion-Ledger's Rick Cleveland.

A co-worker in her early 30s saw Deford recently at a writers conference in Alabama. She came back in awe of the stories he told and has my copy of "Midget."

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The reason why I went into writing was because of Deford.
    He did a piece, actually it was a play for Sports Illustrated on the death of Nolan Richardson's daughter.
    I dug around the SI vault to find the link and but it was in 1986 1988, I was 16 18 and I thought it was one of the most spectacular things ever.

Edit to add link:
    http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1127093/index.htm

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Distribution.

Minimal advertising.

Insane expenses.

Shuffle and deal.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"Got To Do Some Coachin'" I believe it was called.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate his NPR spots. But when Deford cares about his subject, there aren't many, if any, out there who are better...

Draft saved Draft deleted