1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francona out as Boston Manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skiptomylou2, Sep 30, 2011.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

Reading Ken Rosenthal does not count as inside information, dickweed. Please, please go away.

2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

In the interest of accuracy, that's dickweed2, good sir.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

I stand corrected.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Firstly, speculation is why I'm starting hate journalism.

Secondly, Francona has kind of been on the hot seat for about a month on Boston sports radio. He one of those "either you love him or hate him" types of a manager. And the bottom line is that somebody has to pay the price when $160 million goes down the tubes and you don't even have a postseason appearance to show for it.

I think the team should go in a different direction, get some new life in there. Someone who is a bit more of a hardass.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bobby's rested, tanned and ready and I bet his wife's ready for him to get his ass out of the house.

7. The bottom line is normally a manager is given an extension in spring training if ownership has confidence in him. The fact that the Red Sox had Francona manage all year with the option hanging over his head was power play by Theo. Francona leaving is another unforced error.

Theo Epstein is vastly over-rated. John Farrell should be brought back to be GM

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

point.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Theo goes on in the press conference yesterday and says that Francona won't be the scapegoat, but that seems like the obvious reaction to today's news, at least if the parting wasn't mutual.

10. dmc

dmc Guest

or, read the morning papers.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Posting a link to Bleacher Report should be grounds for expulsion.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted