1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franchise quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: We need a definition of the term "franchise" if this thread is to make even minimal sense. Do posters mean in it the common Draft Day hooey meaning of "superstar or potential superstar" or do they mean "QB who's good enough to win with and good enough to be very difficult to replace." If the former, we have maybe seven or eight guys tops. If the latter, then indeed guys like Romo, Flacco, Wilson, Ryan, and even Stafford and Cutler qualify.

2. I think of a Franchise QB as a guy who is entrenched as a starter. It's not his job to lose. It's his job. Period. That doesn't make them elite. Or great. It just makes them the starting QB, around which an offense will be run.
    By that definition I think there are a lot of Franchise QBs in the league.
    Brady
    Manning
    Brees
    Roethlisberger
    E. Manning
    Romo
    Wilson
    Luck
    Stafford
    Rivers
    Rodgers
    Flacco
    Palmer

Now how long a QB is a "franchise" QB is another story. Some have longer shelf life than others.
    Franchise QBs with short shelf lives:
    Ryan
    Newton
    Kaepernick

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lots of ELITE takes here.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Go ahead, say RG3. You know you want to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nah. I'll leave this to the experts.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Gee needs a definition of "expert."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK, if you want to make a list based on that definition. But I think more historically, a franchise QB a guy that you felt you could build a team around for the future. It wasn't a guy who is entrenched as the current starter. It was a guy that you figure is going to be your starter for the next 5 to 10 years, at least. Using my definition, there should be very few franchise QBs. They are the guys that are young and so good that you figure you aren't going to have to think about the position for a decade.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jay Cutler needs to be on your list, too.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's not forget salary in this. Flacco's contract means the Ravens will have built around him for the first 10 years of his career whether or not they want to.

10. Mr. Sunshine

This thread lasts long enough and we'll name every starting QB in the league.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That always seems to be forgotten. And it means, well, everything.

It seems to be much better to have your "franchise" QB be someone who wasn't handed that distinction on draft day. The more time it takes for them to get their big money, the better off you'll be.

Patriots won three SBs when Brady was making seventh-round (and slightly better) money, haven't won any since his eight figures have been eating the salary cap. Seahawks won with Wilson making $650,000. How good will their defense be when he commands eight figures of salary cap money? Packers won a title with Rodgers making $6.5 million. This year he's a $17.5 million cap hit. Same thing with Flacco.

Other than the Mannings, no Super Bowl winning QB since 2001 was picked earlier than 11th. The QB who won in 2000 (Dilfer) was a No. 6 pick who never really performed (or was paid) at an elite level. And the Mannings are by far the most scrutinized for not accomplishing more. Well, perhaps that's because they commanded monster money from Day 1, forever handicapping their franchises from paying other positions the money they deserved.

Roethlisberger 11th
    Flacco 18th
    Rodgers 24th
    Brees 32nd
    Brady 199th
    Johnson 227th
    Warner undrafted

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think of a franchise guy as someone who carries their team.

I think there are five obvious franchise quarterbacks: Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees and Luck.

Maybe you can add Roethlisberger, so six.

There are probably a couple who are debatable.

Draft saved Draft deleted