1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franchise quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Watching Andrew Luck tonight, I was reminded that this afternoon on the radio I heard Rich Gannon say there were "about eight franchise quarterbacks in the league."

I've got seven

Brady
    Manning
    Luck
    Rivers
    Roethlisberger
    Rodgers
    Brees

I want to say Ryan just to get DD on this thread in seconds, but he's near the top of the next tier.

What say you?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck is No. 1.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd include Rivers on that list, mostly because of how demonstrative he is when a teammate screws up. That's not the kind of QB who engenders a lot of loyalty from his offense.

You could probably put Wilson on the list.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

All a franchise QB means, to me, is that you can win a Super Bow with him, and you don't have to go looking for someone else, even if there are guys who are better. It's such a hard deal to find a competent quarterback, and if you draft one you think is good and miss, it sets your franchise back so many years. That's why I absolutely think Flacco is one, Ryan (despite my mockery) is one, Eli Manning is one. They're all flawed, they all are overpaid, and yet they're still guys who you can win with every week, every season.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Ever heard of Dan Marino or Peyton Manning?

I'd probably take Wilson next on the list, but I wouldn't put him in the top tier. He's too limited as a passer. I can't see him carrying a team if he had to put up 40 points. Great young quarterback, but I'm not ready to put the "franchise" label on him until I see how he handles things when the rest of the team around him isn't ideal.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not sure you can look at the WR depth chart and call the talent ideal. I get what you mean - it's a good team, overall. But, damn.

8. Mr. Sunshine

More about the defense and running game controlling things so Wilson isn't put in many bad spots. He's a very good young quarterback (only Luck is better), but I do think he's limited right now. Maybe he grows into a better passer and all-around QB like Brady did after instant success.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wilson for sure. He's amazingly efficient and comes through in some big plays when absolutely have to have it.

No Ryan, no Rivers. They have had the opportunity to show they could win the big game and they did not. I do not get the feeling this will change in the future either.

Thought Kaepernick was going to show he was one; now just a nice bauble that will lose its luster soon enough. I know, this is very fatalistic and subject to change but that's what it looks like from here right now.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know I'm a fanboy, but it's crazy not to have Romo on this list.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Manning is better than Rivers. Marino was better, too. It's not that you can't behave like an asshat and be a great quarterback. Hell, it might be required, but it is fair to count some of the shit Rivers does that might piss off a teammate as a negative when evaluating the player.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You guys think Manning and Rivers are ballbusters of errant teammates? You couldn't possibly have ever heard of Bobby Layne. Or Troy Aikman for that matter. Or, come to think of it, of Tom Brady.

Draft saved Draft deleted