1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foxsports: Dungy stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Manning was eminently mortal in that Super.

If you've got the rest of the team, you only need a moderately-talented, level-headed quarterback to win it. But Rexy wasn't even that -- still isn't, and never will be.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fine, but you're really reaching there. The strength of AFC vs. NFC and vice versa has been badly tilted in a number of seasons, so does that make every non-dynasty SB-winning team or coach a fluke? Do you also not give credit to race car drivers who win on fuel mileage, baseball teams that win on an opponent's balk and basketball teams who win because some guy missed two FTs with no time left?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was watching NFL Films Presents last night and it was about Warren Sapp (an excellent episode, btw), who said he didn't think Dungy or Gruden could have won a Super Bowl in Tampa if it hadn't played out the way it did.

He said Tampa needed Dungy's steadying influence, defensive prowess and help assembling the team to put it in the position it was in when Gruden was hired. He also said Gruden gave the offense the necessary kick-start to push the team over the hump.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How ridiculous can the Tony Dungy-hater's club get? Now his Super Bowl doesn't count because the opponent wasn't worthy enough for them -- forget for a moment they had to beat a great Baltimore team on the road and come from 18 down against the franchise most people consider to be the best of the decade to do it.....

I suppose Jon Gruden's Super Bowl doesn't count because all he had to do was beat Bill Callahan to do it.

Bill Cowher's Super Bowl doesn't count because he had to beat perhaps one of the five worst teams, especially in terms of talent, to make the game and they were quarterbacked by journeyman Matt Hasselback.

Brian Billick's doesn't count because he beat a team quarterbacked by journeyman Kerry Collins

No, I forgot, Dungy is the only one held to these ridiculously high standards......

And one more -- Jeff Fisher's Super Bowl championship doesn't count, oh wait a minute, never mind........

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You really need to cut back on the sports talk radio.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I never listen to it -- hardly ever.

Why?

Because it gives me a head-ache -- much like some of the discussion in here, the difference being, at least here people aren't screaming at each other so my ears don't hurt too.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like it would be hard to find a better guy than Tony Dungy. I would highly recommend his book - Quiet Strength - but get the CD version in his voice. You come away feeling like you are sitting there having an actual conversation with the guy.

Be forewarned when he discusses his son who passed away have a box of tissues ready to go.

I am sad to see him retire.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is just crazy talk, and not truth.

Cowher's shouldn't count for about seven or eight different (yellow-colored) reasons.

9. Actually it was AFC No. 4 (home vs. New England) in the AFC Championship. But they did overcome a 21-3 deficit to Brady/Belichick, so I agree...it was hardly backing into a title.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can't back into a Super Bowl title. You play your three or four games and if you're the last team standing, you're the Super Bowl champs. It's not tainted just because the early favorite chokes.

Sometimes the No. 5 seed was 12-4 and finished behind a team that was 13-3 and got the No. 1 seed. Not much difference between No. 1 and No. 5.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In a rainstorm, Manning played great.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Backing into a SB title.... man, the idiocy around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted