1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOXNewsaganda

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It began as a fracas and got worse.

2. Reina printed The Memo.
    The Fox people went after him.
    If I can find a link, I'll get it.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It started as both a fracas and a ruckus. Now they've combined into a giant fuckus.

Also, they did a horrible job scanning that memo. It's slanted ... to the right, oddly enough. Hey, maybe they did a brilliant job!

4. Found it.
    http://poynter.org/forum/?id=thememo

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I still think it's hilarious that some people love Fox News but hate Fox TV.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good stuff, Fenian. Sickening, deplorable, good stuff.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hondo --

Nowhere in Goldberg's book did he say that he ever got marching orders to purposely slant a story. In fact, he spends ample time arguing the exact opposite.

Nice try, though.

8. I don't take "editorial" to mean that the memo's just for O'Reilly, Gibson, Cavuto and the network's other commentators. In my experience, I've seen "editorial" used often as shorthand for all the non-advertising copy in a publication. Maybe they use the "editorial as opinion" definition, but I don't think you can assume that. Does anyone know how their "departments" are named?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In television, anything not commercials is editorial.

The ultimate non-denial denial.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Some of the parts brought up last night on Countdown weren't as bad as everyone's saying.

Question of the day, whether the Democrats have a plan for Iraq? Legitimate. Never have heard the party offer a plan on what we should be doing. Of course, never heard Fredo offer a plan, either, but at this point that incompetence is standard calling.

Asking the insurgents what they thought of the American election? Well, any plans offered by Democrats all have had one standard calling card -- withdrawal in a more-timely fashion than desired by our military. Isn't that legit?

The quip about Angle's live-shot was over the line to be posted in a memo, but c'est la vie. We all have strong opinions in our newsroom, and sometimes we even share them with co-workers.

I'm not conservative; definitely a moderate, and I lean left quite a bit.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Fox News cites "some reports" of happy insurgents in the wake of the Democratic victory. Great sourcing.

http://www.cjrdaily.org/politics/fox_memo_leaked_tells_us_nothi.php

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because even though it's quaint to give enormous latitude to opinions, the truth is that an opinion that is not based on FACT is worthless.

If I have an "opinion" that the sun revolves around the earth, that doesn't give a news outlet the justification for running my opinion.

Let's say I send out a memo telling staffers to interview black people and to look for those who have a positive reaction to the Bush administration.

My staffers come back after having interviewed 252 people, 6 of whom have a positive opinion about the Bush administration.

I do NOT have the right to pen an opinion piece on how blacks are embracing the Bush administration, using those 6 people. Sorry, not everybody is entitled to an opinion. Not when it's based on lies.

Draft saved Draft deleted