1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOX-TV & the faux Jay Cutler newspaper headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gonna Buy me a Dog, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ultimately, they are.

Unprofessional, unethical and run with a lowest-common-denominator mentality (not to mention a complete cynical contempt for the audience).

It comes from the top.

Oh, and P.S.:

FOX LIES

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

ANEURYSM!

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't care for Fox Sports' TV broadcasting, but I like a number of their writers on the Web. Greg Couch, Jen Engle Floyd, Thayer Evans, Billy Witz, Reid Forgrave, Mark Kriegel, Ives Garlacep, Ken Rosenthal and Lee Spencer are all fine professional sports journalists. (I might have missed two of the site's bigger names. Oops.)

Similarly, there's a lot of good work being done at the Wall Street Journal and the New York Post.

I don't think it's fair to paint News Corp companies with one broad brushstroke. (And I swear I don't work for a Murdoch paper.)

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I should have figured something was fishy when the headlines came spinning toward the camera.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am sure some of the front door cashiers at whorehouses are fine upstanding citizens too.

But when you go to work in a whorehouse you know what you're getting into.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fox unsure if it needs to apologize to Cutler:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-fox-unsure-about-onair-apology-for-fake-cutler-headlines-20110922,0,2396909.story

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, it needs to apologize to newspapers.

OK, and Cutler, too.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's see ... the whole controversy was started because of one Tweet by a player, who couldn't have known Cutler was hurt and couldn't go since it wasn't announced until a day or two later. It appears Fox ignored that and went for the sensational, and false, headline instead. So, yes, I think he's owed an apology.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'We apologize to Jay Cutler, the Chicago Bears, and everyone else involved!'

--Curt Menafee's cheery statement on Sunday's pregame show.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If/when they do it again, this is just drool.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Good, do it on the Fox pregame show, where all of 17 people will see it. Yeah, that's how you do an apology.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Is that any worse than putting corrections at the bottom of page 2?

Draft saved Draft deleted