1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOX Sports Releases Mock 2009 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fun fact: Brian VanGorder tried to recruit me when he was a high school coach, 25 years ago. Incredible seeing him on the sideline Saturday in an NFL playoff game.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Miami in the second round.

You have Brown, Tebow and Ginn on the field in a Wildcat type formation for 15-20 plays a game.

He will never be a starter, but trying to prepare for two totally different looks (Tebow, Pennington) is more of a bitch than you think.

Look at the Steelers in the Kordell years or Randall-El afterwards. Having that option in the playbook is a huge advantage.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tavaris is making it?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not based on what I saw on Sunday:

15-35 164 yds 0 TDs, 1 Int 45.4 rating

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

His team is in the playoffs. He's a two-year starter.
    I didn't say SUPER BOWL quarterback...which isn't a requirement to start in this league.

6. prhack

prhack Member

Always thought VanGorder benefitted from tremendous talent while he was at UGA. Can't say that about the Falcons. He really squeezed blood out of a turnip this year.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

They could trade both picks to move up for an OT, but even doing that I'm not sure they can get high enough to take one that could start right away. Guess they should have taken Otah last year instead of trading with Carolina.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Agree on Gresham. That kid was unreal in the Big 12 title game albeit against a horrible Missouri defense.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So... you're saying VanGorder got his man and Cowbell played d for the Falcons. No wonder they sucked. He was busy posting on here all the time.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why are people convinced that Sam Bradford is anything more than a product of Oklahoma's system, especially considering the fricken flag football every team in the Big 12 plays?

If I were Detroit, I'd offer shitty ass Cleveland a third-round pick for Derek Anderson and let him take a beating for three years as I tried to resurrect the Titanic. The only thing that will happen if the Lions pick Bradford No. 1 is that they'll have to waste another top pick on a QB four years from now.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That or Cassell? I've never been high on Anderson even after his display in 2007 or 2008, can't remember.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Cassell got the franchise tag. So that is out of the question. The Lions don't operate that way. They would rather burn a draft pick on a guy they aren't qualified to build up as a player. They did it with Harrington, they will do it again. Yes, it would be much easier for them to get Derek Anderson, or someone young. But they won't. They will sign Bradford. Cut Orlovsky, even though he is the only QB they have had in the last five years who didn't have 4 turnovers per game, and let Stanton be the No.3. They will then sign some bum journeyman like Jeff Garcia or Jon Kitna who will get forced into the starter's role, and go 2-7 and then leave the city and trash the team, the other quarterbacks and the owners. Now, I know what you are thinking, Jeff Garcia and Kitna aren't bums — well, when they play for the Lions they are.

Now that I've given you my opinion about on why the Lions should not draft a QB, I will tell you how they will screw it up WHEN they draft a qb.

Instead of trading down, and getting the second best QB at pick five while gaining a couple more draft picks and most likely 1-2 more first rounders to give them at least 3 total first round picks in 2009, they will take the first QB with the first pick.

Bradford and Stafford have all been tabbed as the Lions QB by sportswriters. And since sportswriters are at least 16 times as smart as anyone who works for the Lions, it means the Lions are not smart enough to choose who is better. Therefore they should trade back and pick who falls. But they won't. They will draft the QB, waste the pick from Dallas on a god damn corner or linebacker to replace the other draft picks that never worked, and enter the 2009 season with a shit o-line and a crap defense.

The new quarterback, whoever he is, and he will be changing every three weeks, will get sacked 9 times a game and the Lions will lose. The one person they could have traded for an entire starting lineup Calvin Johnson, will get fed up and leave in FA and go to some place like Chicago and the Lions will have losing seasons for another five years. One of those years they will fire their coach and rebuild for the umpteenth time beginning with the NFL Draft, in which they have the first pick. At that point, I will think about this post and laugh, then copy and paste it into the quick reply field of KevinmH9's Fox Sports Releases 2014 Mock Draft thread and change the players names.

Draft saved Draft deleted