1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports 1: Another Murdoch propaganda foghorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 30, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Glazer is a jock-sniffer, but he's a very well connected one.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed, pern. If you separate what he's saying from why he's saying it, he is the best info provider in the business.

And also, of course he has conflicts of interest, but as things stand now those conflicts are only 2 percent more of a mockery to journalism than the ESPN and NFL Network guys' are.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

By virtue of his negative soccer opinions alone, Clay Travis has many fans on this site.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's because of the Aussie Rules football and pro rugby that I watch Fox Sports 2 more than Fox Sports 1. I've only ever watched FS1 when the Royals are on and an occasional K-State football game.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fox Sports 1 will have MMA on every once in awhile, like prelims up to a bigger PPV event. I'll sometimes watch that, but I usually have to use the search function of my cable fox to find what channel it is actually on.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

IsGlazer worse than Le Batard

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just for UFC and boxing.
    My main complaint with them is the same complaint I have with ESPN and boxing (or most commercial networks, as opposed to premium ones like HBO or Showtime). Boxing and MMA are not like other sports where overtime or extra innings are a possibility. You know how long, at the longest, a fight will last. It may be shorter than it's scheduled duration, but it will never be longer barring any unusual circumstances like Fan Man or a power outage or something like that. For that reason, it would seem that there would be no excuse for a live broadcast to run long.
    So why do they feel the need to try to cram 2 1/2 hours of fights into a broadcast that's supposed to be 2 hours long? You can't fit two eight-round bouts and a 10 or a 12 into 2 hours if they all go the distance. I guess they're worried about early knockouts, but why, with live TV is it better to err on the side of running long than running short?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I ain't watching unless they have water-skiing squirrels and competitive flogging.

Batman and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Holy smokes! You LIKE Onrait and O'Toole? Those guys are a big part of the reason I DON'T watch FS1. Ever. Soooo obnoxious, though not unlike most of the late-night guys on ESPN. I tried to give it a shot early on, when I got so tired of ESPN's blowhards and was hoping for viable alternative. They have to have the most annoying lineup on cable TV, though I haven't seen it much lately. But when I would watch guys like McNabb/Roddick/Kapler/Papadakis/etc talking about sports I wanted to throw things at the TV. But I sure do miss Charissa Thompson. *sniffle* I'll flip over for live games or to check out the post-fight if there's a decent MMA matchup, but that's about it.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bigger jock sniffer, better info. So, um, better?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Same size asshole, smaller dick?

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

While I dislike all three of them, it seems kinda shortsighted to say a whole network is defined by three personalities. Both Cowherd and Travis are gleeful trolls who present their contrarian schtick as some kind of insightful wisdom. Whitlock got burned partially because of how much of the Undefeated's dirty laundry got aired, but more because people started hammering him for basically pitching respectability politics in another package (and kind of playing to white folks after skewering Scoop Jackson for displaying blackness in a way Whitlock disliked). In response, Whitlock has gone really far out, so much so he's railing against gangs on online "white hipsters," and there's no real way to make that sound sane.

I mean, the network still has Stewart Mandel, Bruce Feldman, Lindsey Thiry, Katie Nolan, who are all pretty solid. (granted I don't watch a ton of the network, because who has the time to watch a large percentage of a 24-hour sports network's programming? Do kind of like the SVP solo segments on SportsCenter when it pops on after a game comes on, though.)

Draft saved Draft deleted