1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News does it again . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BTExpress, Jan 12, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uh huh.

Because liberal reporters run the media, not the old white Republican men who employ liberal reporters.

Based on your posts, I wonder if you're even in the business, and not just some angry Republican who has decided to rant about the liberal press on a message board for sportswriters.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hate to disappoint you, but I've been in the business for ... damn, I hate to think this because it means I'm not as young as I wish ... 27 years. Actually saw my own real name on this very site in a discussion last year.And I expect that topic may be revisited in the near future. Let's put it this way: I'd stack my own resume and the beats I've covered and am now covering vs. 98% of this board. I've covered six NBA Finals, four Super Bowls, a World Series, a US Open and other PGA Tour events.

I've been in this business all my adult life and I remember quite vividly the giddiness in the entire newsroom back on election night 2000 when the networks declared Florida for Gore early in the night, supposedly clinching it for Internet Al.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One World Series and one U.S open in 27 years?

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Have to agree with JDV and Old Tony on one thing ...

There's a lot of hatred on this board simply because beliefs differ. I've never met so many self-proclaimed liberals on one board who are actually some of the most closed-minded people ever.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

The only thing that disappoints me, Old Tony, is you were the one to pull out the "never been in a newsroom" card. I expect that from a knuckledragger like Hondo.

Again: Reporters being happy over Gore's apparent victory is no evidence at all of a liberal media bias. Because those who write the checks were happy to ensure that Bush went unchecked the last six years.

6. old_tony

And more to come. Here's a hint for you about this business, JR: When you cover the NBA or the NFL, your paper sends the baseball writers to the World Series and the golf writers to the US Open. And in tight financial times, they sometimes don't send anyone.

7. old_tony

It was nothing personal, but if you're in a newsroom and you're even semi-observant, you can't help noticing some things.

And the upper management as far as owners or people way upstairs have nothing to do with the stories selected for Page 1, the stories overlooked, the story placement on Page 1, the headlines written, the slant given to the story, the slant given to the headline, etc. etc. etc. And you know that. You can say all you want about potential political leanings of owners and higher-ups in media, but they have little or nothing to do with the content.

I know for a fact that the previous publisher at the paper I work at was conservative, and yet the paper's editorial board and it's editorials and editorial cartoons are far left.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, and Conrad Black's newspapers never reflected his neanderthal right wing ideology.

Or the Aspers who have a huge media empire in Canada, including newspapers.

And Tony, I'd be interested which newspaper you worked at that was "far left". There is no such newspaper in America today.

The "liberal media" stuff is so old and tired that it doesn't even pass a basic smell test.

9. So you're saying that owners are that heavy-handed in dictating what their reporters write? This sounds scandalous. I can't believe there's not more of an outcry from the rank and file about it.

10. old_tony

I'm not about to out myself here, but anyone who can read knows my paper is definitely far left on the editorial pages and in the slant of how it presents news.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tony, no one would know you from Adam anyway but unless you work for the Daily Worker, there's no way your paper is "far left".

Name me five "far left" dailies in North America with a circulation of more than 100,000

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would appreciate one simple explanation of the following:

Of the 140 largest newspapers in the country, 85 of them endorsed Bush in the 2000 election.

Instead of all this subjective "slanting" of the news that we talk about and argue about, it is a fact that 85 of 140 newspapers basically told their readers, "VOTE FOR BUSH!!!"

Why would a liberal media do something like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted