1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News Channel to try "Daily Show" type show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Comedy is anarchic by nature if its any good. Fox's audience is composed of older people who believe in obeying authority. Not a good fit. See Mallard Fillmore for further details.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

It's not a bad idea, but you can't let it become a partisian political show, because that's the exact opposite of funny (or the TV version of "Mallard Filmore"). It's got to be a humor show first, then a lefty-skewering show second.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Besides, Dennis Miller, while being a conservative, would have to dumd down his act for the FOX News audience.

It would be like Hemingway being forced to write My Pet Goat.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

UGh!

Miller is all washed up. This will put the NAIL in his career. Besides, he looks like a haggard old drunk nowdays.

5. This should suck. If they wanted it to be good, they could make it a "Colbert Report" type show.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Here's one point that no one has brought up -- is it really a good idea for a news network to get into the political satire business? If Fox wanted to do this on its broadcast channel or F/X or whatever, it would be OK...but the fact that this will be rubbing up against its news programming makes it kind of different. You worry about people confusing the two

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Was thinking the same thing. It's like a newspaper trying to use The Onion as a model for a "fake news" section. Kind of counter to the mission of the organization, no?

BTW -- and I really just feel the need to say this -- Mallard Fillmore sucks. I can hardly wait for the annual "those bastard PC devils won't let us say Merry Christmas" storyline.

8. And, of course, O'Reilly has been parody for several years now.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Prickly City pwns Mallard Filmore to hell and back when it comes to conservative daily comic strips.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Will check it out.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sometimes it plays a heavy hand, but the writing and characters are a little more whimsical -- sort of like a conservative-leaning Bloom County, but with less non-political character develpoment. I like it enough, and it makes its points way better than ol' Mallard or -- even worse -- B.C. could do

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I keep thinking of the SImpsons when they replaced Itchy and Scratchy with an Eastern European cartoon.
    I keep thinking of Krusty's reaction: "What the hell was that?"
    I think this will be like that...

Draft saved Draft deleted