1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News Channel to try "Daily Show" type show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not sure if this should be here, in the Sports and NEWS category or Anything Goes (Attn: Moderators can make the ultimate decision on placement), but it looks like Fox News Channel wants to develop a Daily Show-type program for its viewership, starting with a test run of a show in January.

Here's the link to a story in Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i61fccc799efa3cb7cc70027d80722adf

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The working title, according to sources, is "Hannity and Colmes."

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

With plans in the works for a spinoff, tentatively named "The O'Reilly Factor."

4. "Ladies and gentlemen, it's The Mallard Fillmore Hour!"

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It will be an utter failure.

Though I think Dennis Miller might be a decent and almost watchable host for the show.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But Dennis couldn't get better ratings than Johnny Mac on CNBC. Granted public access TV in the remote stretches of the Yukon gets better ratings than CNBC, but I think people have tired (or given up) on Dennis Miller.

7. If you're going to do, find someone and make him a star, like Stewart and/or Colbert. Don't bring on a retread hack like Dennis Miller.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Glenn Beck.

oops, CNN grabbed him and is basically doing this exact premise, methinks.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was thinking the exact same thing... I've seen Miller in concert twice in recent years and he's still as funny as ever... Plus, there's no way he's any more conservative than Jon Stewart is liberal...

10. But he can't get himself out of the way they way Stewart can -- that persona, the semi-baffled anchorman in a world gone mad, is most of what makes TDS work, liberal ideology be damned. Miller couldn't do that, and having him as a kind of real-life Colbert already failed once.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The difference between The Daily Show and what Fox News appears to be doing is intent. TDS goes in looking to mock those in power. For quite a few years Republicans have been in charge. TDS has often made fun of Democrats but because they have done so little and have meant so little on the national scale that is almost pointless.

This show appears to be coming on with the intent of skewing to the right. That means they will push and prod and force jokes if they have to in order to keep pushing forward with the same agenda. That just doesn't make for good television.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree... Stewart, while an unabashed liberal, pulls it off as well as anyone... Colbert's a different situation because he's in character...

As much as I love Miller, I can't imagine this working with anyone...

Draft saved Draft deleted