1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox fires Lyons for insensitive remark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Oct 14, 2006.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2625500&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Anyone know what he said? I was listening to the radio version.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

didn't he also insult the blind guy the other day or was that someone else? what a tool. i'm sure it's pure coincidence that he was replaced by a latino. ::)

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shocked that someone nicknamed "Psycho" would say anything politically incorrect.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Another funny exchange, though I don't remember if it took place in Game 1 or Game 2...

Pinella: I like to win.
    Lyons: Then why did you go to Tampa Bay?

(dead silence follows)

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2006/10/14/bc.bba.alcs.fox.lyonsfi.ap/

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They fired him for THAT? Political correctness run amock. God forbid someone be off color. Yes, please give me more of morons like Tim McCarver. Better yet, replace him with Brent Musbeerger. He's great at everything he does.

7. I'm glad I paid attention when conjugating words in Spanish class. I didn't know you could get fired for screwing it up.

On the other hand, Lyons should have been fired long ago for being a shitty broadcaster. So I'm all in favor of it.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

I'm still not following Pinella's original analogy.

Finding a wallet and hoping it happens the next week? Where did that come from?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It means don't count on Marco Scutaro to carry your offense. He stinks.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Piniella's original analogy made me laugh out loud. Didn't expect it, and it fit exactly what he was trying to say. Great analysis.

Then Lyons tried to play off it, and failed miserably ... he reminds me of fucking Rex Hudler, being too cute and corny and overly enthusiastic with everything.

But I don't think he should've been fired for THAT ... fire him for the blind-guy act, but not for that.

Hell, he wasn't even directing it at Hispanics. He was trying to be cute with the second Lou quote (about "en fuego," then he was trying to be cute with the first Lou quote (about the wallet), and he somehow tied them together when they weren't meant to be tied together.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I can't believe he got fired for that! I'm sure Fox hired "Psycho" because of his personality, hoping he'd occasionally say something funny/controversial.....and he gets canned for his lame attempt at humor?

I did like this exchange..

Pinella: I like to win.
    Lyons: Then why did you go to Tampa Bay?

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, the Tampa Bay line was great. You could hear the crickets afterwards...dead silence.

Draft saved Draft deleted