1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four tickets, Yankees/Indians regular season game: $10,750

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 2, 2009.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Anyone else think the new Stadium is....kinda butt-ugly?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The new stadium is pretty much a replica of the old stadium with upgraded amenities etc.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, Ragu, you'll probably be sitting next to Boom.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I saw the seating chart though -- you can still get bleacher seats for $14.

That isn't a bad deal.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In front of very few at home games.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, bleacher seats at $12, obstructed view bleachers are $5.
    and 2MCM, they have sold more than 36,000 season ticket plans so the place isn't going to be too empty.

7. zagoshe

How obstructed is obstructed view?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ask this guy.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The view from left-filed bleachers... where the Mohegan Sun restaurant kinda gets in the way. Like, where did right field go?
    And it's the same from the bleachers in right-center

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who said anyone is forced to buy tickets? And frankly, if the Yankees can get anyone to pay $10,750 for four seats to see a midweek Mariners game, God bless them as far as I can concerned.

But the fact that those tickets are sitting there unsold *is* a clear demonstration that there is an invisible hand. They built a new stadium and priced those tickets with corporate excess in mind, got hit by a financial crisis that has Fortune 500 cutting back on those excesses and that is why those ridiculously priced tickets are sitting there on ticketmaster right now unsold. The invisible hand is basically saying, "$10,750 for four tickets to a regular season game ain't happening in this economy. The corporations didn't snatch them up, and the random guy like me who was tooling around on ticketmaster at 3 a.m. is laughing his ass off when he sees the price. So get used to some empty seats." The organization will still be wildly profitable, just from the TV network and licensing alone. But it will be interesting to see whether they reckon they can make more money by cutting ticket prices next season to a level that reflects the economy--which in a way would entail eating some crow--or, after the luster of the new stadium wears off, whether it makes more sense to just give away a ton of tickets and deal with some empty seats that are way beyond the price that supply and demand dictate for a regular-season baseball game.

11. zagoshe

That's just it Ragu - the invinsible hand is really not going to hit sports like other business. People will find a way to pay for tickets.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If "people will find a way to pay for tickets" then you are arguing that the invisible hand works, i.e. that the laws of supply and demand are at work. If people are paying for the tickets at those prices, it means that there is enough demand to dictate those prices. We'll see if that is the case. I'm never surprised by anything in New York. But as I said, the fact that those seats are sitting unsold on ticketmaster when they were counting on a frenzied excitement to get into the new stadium suggests that it hasn't worked out to plan. If the Yankees get off to a bad start and aren't in the thick of a pennant race? I have a feeling they will be fudging attendance figures the way the Knicks did for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted