1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four NYT reporters missing in Libya

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of the four is Stephen Farrell, who was kidnapped by the Taliban in 2009 ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-New-York-Times-journalists-apf-3245316908.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I sure hope this has a happy ending.

Anthony Shadid is an absolute, absolute stud. One of the best, if not the absolute best, newspaper journalists working. His storytelling from Iraq was spell binding.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

He's chapter 9 in my book, "Morning Miracle." Sally Jenkins called him "the soul of the Post." Steve Fainaru called him "the bravest man I ever met." I quote a Shadid soliloquy in which he weighs the value of the reporting against the risk, and decides it's worth it. Years before that conversation, he'd already been shot once, at point-blank range, and left to die. He's no hyper-macho daredevil; he's soft-spoken, kind, shyly charming. He simply believes in the power of the sustained, accumulating work. That's why he left the Post, which was cutting back on daily foreign coverage, for the Times.

4. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Years ago, I worked with one of the photogs -- Tyler Hicks -- and even back then, as a young, youg shooter, he was excellent. A very committed photo-journalist. Hoping this turns out OK ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Alive. Captured by "pro-Gaddafi forces." Expected to be released today.

MSNBC siting the NY Times.

Very good news.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Released. Thank God.

7. their account:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/world/africa/23times.html?_r=1

Draft saved Draft deleted