1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Marines killed in a rampage shooting, coincidentally occurring a few weeks after another one

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Because it was already obvious, that lacking something like the Confederate Flag to work people up, the murder of four Marines wouldn't resonate with folks here.

As school shooting? A movie theater shooting? Sure. Folks can imagine themselves as the victims.

We don't identify with Marines.

And, without a racist shooter, folks can't focus on motive and decide that a whole region of the country is made up of backwards, racist people, still attached to an ideology from 150 years ago.

As it turns out, with a radical muslim doing the shooting, we'll gloss over the motive, not question the thinking of a large group of people, and the 1200-year-old ideology they remain attached to.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

So do these deaths make you as upset as, say, people drawing cartoons. In a vacuum, how much do you really care?

I think the murder of these Marines is despicable. I also thinks it's terrible that certain people will either ignore completely or talk in circles in service to their political correctness. But hey, it's just a random killing of four American military members. Nothing to see here.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like you sympathize.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What we can be absolutely certain about in this instance is that you weren't so broken up about the Marines' deaths that you could refrain from using it as a cynical opportunity to troll, and I certainly don't feel compelled to defend my patriotism or level of commitment to our military to you. You have no reason to question it.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Which is probably why he didn't.

6. YankeeFan

Compare and contrast the following ideologies:

A.) Koranic/Doctrinal Islam

B.) White Supremacy

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You act like the Confederate flag thing blew up immediately. I brought it up within minutes, but I don't think it gained traction for days afterward.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think you're exactly wrong, but I don't think this is the whole story, either.

I hate to say it, but it's a dog-bites-man story when a radical Islamist commits what appears to be an act of terrorism. It's not that interesting to people. Sadly, it's even less interesting to people because they were Marines, rather than private citizens. (Compare to the Boston Marathon.) It's unfair, because it's not like they were in a combat zone. But I think that people, at least subconsciously, think that this is the risk you face when you sign up for this battle. You should also acknowledge that as of this morning's Wall Street Journal at least, the victims had yet to be identified, which limits any immediate outpouring.

Dylann Roof was a new villain, in a new setting. This guy, Muhammad Whatshisname, is just the same villain we've seen many times before, just with a different name and face.

9. YankeeFan

Imagine what would have happened if he killed female soccer players. The nation would have melted down.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what's the most effective response to stop these kinds of incidents?

A) Nuke the Middle East?
    B) Increase the surveillance powers of the Patriot Act?
    C) Limit the types of weapons Americans are allowed to purchase and impose stricter background checks and waiting periods

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If this is true, the narrative industry has gotten awfully good at quickly packaging villains.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to find to find the real differences between Dylan Roof and this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted