1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four Loko

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do folks think about this high alcohol content, highly caffeinated beverage that has recently sent college kids to the hospital?

A little background if you're not familiar with it:

I'm normally a free market guy, but this product seems so easy to abuse, is clearly targeted at kids, and is packaged more like a sport drink or an energy drink. Even it's flavors seem geared to people who don't normally drink alcohol.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Looks like a trashier Sparks.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Or Joose.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I've had one or two and they taste horrible. I can't see how kids would be going to the hospital unless they're drinking three or four of these at a time or stacking other stuff on top of it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've tried Joose. It's so freaking sickly sweet there's no way you can drink more than one. It's a struggle to just get through one.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't understand combining caffeine and booze.

Many years ago, some friends and I went on a Jagerbomb binge. After eight of them, I called it a night. I was ready to pass out. But wait! The Red Bull's caffeine wouldn't let that happen. I was in bed for two hours before I could drift off.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"This is Unleaded?"

(NSFW, start around 3:00) — Katt Williams

8. YankeeFan

I don't know. About 8 or 9 years ago, I was in LA on business.

It had been a long day, I was super tired, & I had a telephone fight with my (now ex) girlfriend. Had no inclination to go out.

But, my co-workers talked me into going out & I had a few Red Bulls & vodka. They didn't taste great, but they definitely woke me up & gave me a buzz. I ended up having a great time.

I've only ever had one again in Vegas under similar circumstances.

9. YankeeFan

I could see them being a problem at a college party.

If you don't know how strong they are, I could see someone (like a 100 pound girl) drinking a couple thinking they're comparable to a wine cooler (remember those?) and being very drunk, very quickly. Especially if they're also offered a shot or two.

If you're drinking beer -- or wine or mixed drinks -- you can feel yourself start to get effected by the alcohol. You can make a decision to slow down or stop.

With something like this and/or shots, the alcohol hits you too quickly and you're drunk before you know it.

(This is also why I never understand people who do shots at the end of the night. They've usually already had enough and are now just adding to their hangover.)

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ridiculous.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Eight Jagerbombs? Holy fuck dude.

Last winter, I was hanging out with some people that were doing Jager shots and we ended up doing seven of them in a row. I was so wrecked I faceplanted on the way home. It was not a pretty scene.

As The Hold Steady says ... these parties, they start out lovely, then they get druggy and get ugly and get bloody ...

12. YankeeFan

The drinks or the idea of banning them?

Draft saved Draft deleted