1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four-Color World: The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

1. I loved Captain American when I was a kid. He was my favorite. But that movie sucked.

B. The Spiderman remake was bad. It bothers me that they did a Spiderman origin movie twice in a decade. It bothers me more that the second wasn't as good as the first.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be curious how it does... Superman just doesn't seem to be nearly as popular these days as Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man or probably several other superheros.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Who is Spiderman?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought "Amazing Spider-Man" was OK, much better than SM3 which had been a sprawling disjointed mess, but it really didn't change the origin enough to be a good reboot.

And the Raimi series had been saving Curt Connors in reserve the entire previous series, so there was really no reason SM4 wouldn't have been a big throwdown battle between Spidey and the Lizard.

So really "ASM" seemed pretty much the movie SM4 would have been -- except they switched out the whole cast.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The change in the cast is the main reason I liked it so much better.

That said, there is one other difference. They still have a living Norman Osborn, who can be a hell of a villain if done right.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

To each his own, but I thought the movie was pretty damn good. It told the story it needed to and set things up well for "The Avengers." I also thought the character came out pretty well also in "The Avengers" -- of course, it helped to play him off Tony Stark for much of the movie.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Have you watched the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man recently? I loved that movie when it came out (and still do to a certain extent), but it doesn't hold up at all.

Green Goblin's costume is a joke and the slapdick scene they inserted after 9-11 with the people on the bridge throwing stuff at Goblin was godawful. The balloon scene's special effects were exceedingly poor (I'm pretty sure you see a tram full of tourists pass during the shot of the balcony collapsing).

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's too bad the Goblin character was so cheesy looking in Spider-Man. Willem Dafoe was perfect to play Norman Osborne, but - as I noted above - his costume was positively dreadful.

9. printit

printit Member

The people throwing stuff at Goblin notwithstanding, I think it holds up pretty well. McGuire pretty much nails who Peter Parker was in the early days of the comic.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked the Spider-Man reboot a lot more than I thought I would...

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Goblin costume was terrible, but I still enjoyed the first version much better.
    I thought Maguire was a much better Peter Parker.
    I thought the Peter-MJ romantic element was done much better than the Peter-Gwen version.
    The sappy element in the first version was less bothersome than the remake's crane-workers-of-NY-unite moment.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed 'The Avengers,' but the best you can say about the Captain America movie is that it told the story it had to tell and set up 'The Avengers.'
    I agree with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted