1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four-Color World: The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Dec 11, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

Probably. I guess I've just come to fear the worst after what fans of the movies have had to endure starting with Superman III.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What does Clark Kent shave his beard with?

3. Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

Heat vision.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. NDub

NDub Guest

My feelings are mixed on this. On one hand, I was never really into the Christopher Reeves Superman or the superhero. I didn't have Superman toys or posters as a kid. I look at Superman now and think "meh."

Zach Snyder has done some good stuff and some terrible stuff, so I'm hesitant on him taking the helm of this. Yet, this trailer looks incredible. And the script was written by Goyer and oversaw by Nolan, so you know there should be a different, almost darker, feel to this movie. Again, this trailer looks incredible.

I'll see it.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

"DARK!!!!!!" is totally what Superman is all about.

In fact, ALL good adventure movies are "DARK!!!!!!!!!!!"

6. heyabbott

Dark Superman
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. NDub

NDub Guest

If Hollywood wants to reboot superheroes and popular franchises, then it needs to take a different tone to bring in previous fans and new fans. Why would we want to watch the same crap from Christopher Reeves?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think his point is that it has gotten to be a bit much with every reboot going the dark route and that it really doesn't fit Superman at all. I happen to agree with him.

9. printit

printit Member

IMHO, Superman will be very tough to make these days. Superman, as written, was a giant, powerful boy scout. Not many (or any) shades of grey. Hollywood hasn't made movies like that in decades, and I'm not sure anyone would watch them if they did. I will be very impressed if they A. Stay true at all to the character and B. Make a movie that doesn't suck.

10. heyabbott

Man of Steel can work as a dark movie while staying true to Superman's ultra moral ethic (Exemplary Boy Scout). The world is dark and gray and Superman has unconditional love for humanity. He'll debase himself for mankind, take their abuse and love them even if they don't return his affection. In the end they'll relize they need him, then they'll learn to repsect him and then some will love him. Others will never feel it, out of embarassment that they can't achieve his success or goodliness or jealously

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Captain America was thought of in a similar way to Superman: boy scout, goody-two-shoes, naive, unrealistic in today's world. But Joe Johnston and Joss Whedon made him work without drastic changes in the core character. It can work for Superman. And it doesn't have to be "dark" to be a good movie. It just has to make sense and be mature. Establish the world in which the character could believably exist, stick to those rules, don't insult us, and tell a story for grown-ups.

12. printit

printit Member

The Captain America movie worked primarily because they set it in the 40s and had him fight Nazis. People can identify with and root for boy scout heroes when they A. are in the past or B. fight someone who personfies ultimate evil. Will be much harder to pull this off.

Draft saved Draft deleted