1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forum Communications not interested in Star Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

CEO says he's not interested

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=224072&section=news

Here's a MinnPost column that floats the idea.

http://www.minnpost.com/davidbrauer/2008/12/03/4985/a_30_million_problem_whats_next_for_the_strib

2. DCguy

DCguy Member

My friend made a suggestion to me that -- at first -- doesn't sound like a terrible idea: Move Monday-Saturday online and just do a Sunday paper. Or just do a weekend preview on Fridays and a Sunday paper. Didn't sound terrible and it would cut the costs of printing and delivering. Takers? Haters?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd say it should go to whatever days it is profitable and drop the days that lose money.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I believe in 2009 we'll see a lot of papers drop the unprofitable days and push harder to the web.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have a problem with how this paper got into such a bind in the first place. I always thought the St. Paul paper would be in this predicament or worse.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It got in a bind because the owners went into debt to buy the paper. Interest payments add up.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Debt-for-equity swap may be in play

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/12/01/daily51.html?ana=from_rss

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One problem with cutting down the number of days you publish is that your regular advertisers, who are your biggest advertisers, are going to demand a commensurate cut in their rates, because they're getting less exposure to your audience.
    The longer-term problem is that once your readers discover that life goes on when they don't get the paper on Tuesday, many of them conclude the same thing will happen if they don't get it on any other days.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I continue to be amazed that the ratio of daily circulation to Sunday circulation still is as high as it is across the country. Think Minneapolis is something like 300,000 to 500,000, and so are plenty of other places.

But everyone I talk with always says, "I usually buy the Sunday paper, but don't have time during the week."

This has to be the result of subscription deals that all but give away the daily papers, right? I think many people would miss having a Sunday newspaper, maybe even some of the kids, but would be just fine without the other six days.

Draft saved Draft deleted