1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fort Wayne/White House plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Maybe I'm D_Bing, but former FW columnist nails current free-lancing conservative columnist - who just happens to be a White House aide:

http://nancynall.com/

Great work by Nancy Nall. My favorite part: The comments below where apologists scream that, "This should have been handled privately!" And claim that, "Tim immediately apologized and acknolwedged his mistake."

Yeah, acknowledged them after he was nailed with no question for 20 cases of blatant plagiarism.

This is the same thing I hear any time a negative story is broken on a college beat: "Why couldn't this have been handled privately??"

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The most compelling argument yet for making plagiarism punishable by lethal injection.

YD&OHS, etc

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't do it? Get another job.

Lazy? Choke.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's just awfully blatant.

I do what I can to avoid even the perception of plagiarism. If I know I'm going to be writing a story about a game I've covered, I refuse to even read other accounts of games.

It shouldn't be that hard to come up with an original point. Then again, it IS someone from the Bush administration we're talking about here.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This story did produce perhaps my favorite AP kill of all time.

WASHINGTON — Kill the short headline in BC-White House-Plagiarism, 9th Ld, which moved at 6:35 p.m. EST. A presidential aide resigned, not Bush.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dammit!

(EDIT: F_B beat me to it! :D)

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

27/38

Check to see if he stole from you:

http://www.newssentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080303/NEWS/803030320

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

The guy was working as an unpaid columnist and had no deadlines. Why the hell did he plagarize stuff? It wasn't like he was under all this deadline pressure to get copy out, or that he would lose a good salary if he didn't make deadline. You've got to be dumb and lazy to plagarize in this case....too lazy and dumb to quit a job you're not getting paid for.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Wouldn't it be easier and more space-efficient just to list his original work?

YD&OHS, etc

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is the dude's apology:

I was working as an unpaid columnist and had no deadlines. Why the hell did I plagiarize stuff? It wasn't like I was under all this deadline pressure to get copy out, or that I would lose a good salary if I didn't make deadline. I've got to be dumb and lazy to plagiarize in this case ... too lazy and dumb to quit a job I'm not getting paid for.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I wouldn't know because I don't watch it, but is Fox News having a field day with this one? Or have they let it slide? What about Rush, et al?

Draft saved Draft deleted