1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former sportswriter having success as a comedian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sam Adams, formerly of The Denver Post, Charlotte Observer and Rocky Mountain News is having a pretty good career as a comedian.

I met him when he was in Charlotte and I find it fascinating that someone could decide to go this route after 40 and have considerable success. I saw one of his sets a little while ago and he's is very funny.

http://www.bobandtom.com/guest/adams-sam/12236

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Working in newspapers would give you plenty of material. Even more if you venture outside of the newsroom. Ba-da-boom-CHING!!!

3. Mizzougrad96

He was a pretty funny columnist.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Hmm, he's living my dream. I keep telling my wife that one day I'm going to take the plunge and chase my dream of being a comedian. Glad to see there are success stories out there. It's a hard business to break into at an older stage of life.

5. Mizzougrad96

I've done several open mikes, but nothing since 1999. I was kind of embarrassed when some of my co-workers heard that I did it and never went back.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

he'll get ya drunk!!!!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd love to be a comedy writer, but I don't think I have the stones to get up on stage. No place to hide if you suck.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to see you up on that stage, John. Please?

:)

9. Mizzougrad96

From my limited experience and what I've heard, doing open mikes is a lot easier than opening for someone good because the expectations are pretty low. I had a friend who killed at open mikes and when he had a chance to open for an established comedian got booed off the stage.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I've only done one open mic in my life and did surprisingly well and never went back. Former co-worker of mine did comedy on the side and tried to get me back out to some open mics, but my schedule and my fear of failure always kept me from going back.

I've always had a love for sketch comedy and ad-lib, but there aren't any sketch comedy groups around here. I'm much funnier when I don't know what I'm doing. If that makes any sense.

11. Mizzougrad96

It does. I did OK when I did it, which was more of a reflection of how bad everyone else was than anything else.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A young man I worked with at VCU is still in athletic communications somewhere in Pennsylvania. But he moonlights as a stand-up and is always sending me notices for his shows in New York. Great, great kid but not the type you'd meet and think "comedian." One day I'm going to get up there and see one of his shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted