1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Red Sox and '50 ROY Walt Dropo dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Dec 18, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone started a thread with "sorry if this is a d_b."

Don't worry about it. If it is, we'll lock or merge or delete one. sure, someone will give you some crap but what the hell?

Seriously, 80 percent of threads that contain news?

Anyway, RIP Walt.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This hasn't been a great month for baseball deaths. Ron Santo, Bob Feller, Phil Cavaretta and now Walt Dropo. RIP.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Heck of a name. Didn't know who he was, but RIP.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pride of Connecticut.

6. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

I sez to myself, "Dropo, a Red Sock? Why did I think he was an Oriole?" Turns out he finished his career in Baltimore, '59-61.

144 ribbies in '50, his rookie year; never came close again, but as I recall his rep as a slugger stuck with him.

RIP, Moose. You were 6'5" when that was BIG.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Probably the best three-sport athlete to ever come out of UConn.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's saying a lot. UConn lost its football team for a while — or at least it seemed like it.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Every summer in Birmingham, the Barons (White Sox Double-A team) play a "turn back the clock" game at Rickwood Field, which opened in 1910 but hasn't been used regularly since the late 1980s. But after the game, they let you walk on the field and you can go through the gate in the new fence and take a look at the old concrete wall. In left-center, you'll see this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted