1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Michigan, NFL running back Ron Johnson has Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WolvEagle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/sports/football/ex-giants-case-is-a-window-on-nfl-aid.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&ref=sports

Man, that is so sad. It really makes you wonder who else from the NFL is headed down that path. Something tells me a lot of guys will be in his shoes.

Ron was Michigan's first black football captain and still holds the school's single-game rushing yardage record; a respected NFL running back; and a respected businessman. By all impressions, he's a great guy. He's just 63.

Damn.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Really sad. I met him when I was a kid. He came to speak at our Temple, we drove him to the event and I got to actually have a conversation with an NFL player, heady stuff for a 9 year old. I was in elementary school and he couldn't be nicer. 1st Giant to gain 1,000 yards rushing.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is it the fault of football or genes?

4. WolvEagle

It might be genes in Ron's case, but you're going to see a lot of cases that are the fault of football, especially as the players have gotten so much bigger.

5. WolvEagle

Interesting side note: Ron's brother, Alex, is a former major league outfielder.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The problem right now with only being able to do CTE analysis after-the-fact (i.e., after death) is that you don't know who is most vulnerable to developing concussion-related conditions. It's possible that people who are already most susceptible to Alzheimer's could get it quicker and harder because of multiple hits to the head.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sad. Johnson stayed incredibly fit in his later years. I can think of at least 10 times I would walk into a hotel gym at some event we both happened to be at and Johnson would be cranking away on threadmill at fast pace. When you see a lot of ex pro's let themselves go I always admired his commitment to stay in shape.

The Giants ran him into the ground because he was all they had. He had a lot of carries in a short span of time.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That was on the back of Ron Johnson's football card

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also one hell of an audio consultant at Pacific Stereo.

[​IMG]

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wasn't Ron Johnson the guy who deflowered Jennifer Jason Leigh in Fast Times?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're already seen a lot of them.

And the line will never end, given we're talking about a collision sport, unless they alter the helmets and/or rules markedly.

And then (especially in the latter case), it's not the same game.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At 63, I think he is ahead of the life expectancy curve for the NFL by eight or so years.

Draft saved Draft deleted