1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Herald employee paid to blog his own layoff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Jul 9, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That damn Carl's list is putting everyone out of business.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

3. Well, maybe he needs the money.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nothing like being executed and having to pull the trigger...

5. Excuse me, my softball story smells like curry and dysentery.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm bookmarking this ...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=422eafd0-db37-474b-a5fd-f230c887371a&&Headline=US+papers%2c+Indian+copy+editors

... and every time a newbie fresh out of college asks about the best way to get into or get ahead in the modern newspaper industry, I'm posting it.

<blockquote>New Delhi, July 06, 2008
    First Published: 02:10 IST(6/7/2008)
    Last Updated: 13:30 IST(7/7/2008)

When the Miami Herald hired Brayden Simms as a fulltime copy editor back in March, the former freelancer assumed his new position meant new job security. He had it wrong: In mid-June, the Florida native learned that his job had been outsourced to Mindworks Global Media, a Noida-based firm that is among the companies fueling a steady migration of American journalism jobs to India.</blockquote>

Dear McClatchy: Tell me how my ass tastes.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet you the execs say to buy American, too, with no apparent sense of irony.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like he can't quit the Herald right? Our country has done away with indentured servitude.
    This deal does speak to the idea of newspapers and other news outlets be seen as a "beacon of morality" and a place people go when they've been screwed over by a company or the government. At this point, about the last place I'd go to be a "whistleblower" would be a local newspaper. They don't really have much of a track record lately of doing the right thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted