1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former hedge fund manager acquires life-saving drug, raises price 5,555% to $750/pill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Here's a hypothetical for the sj.com audience ...

Let's start by noting that essentially the only reason this guy's play might work is that, at present, he's got the only Daraprim-making machine there is. But you also have to remember that, in relatively short order, you could build another Daraprim-making machine. Let's say you do that.

Assume that this guy's right in thinking that, at present, the market will support a price of $750 a pill. Once you had your Daraprim-making machine up and running, what would you charge?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One thing I read earlier is that even though the drug is off patent, potential rivals needed a supply of the drug to test and study before they could make their own version, and Mr. Wonderful was doing all he could to gum up the works.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That being said, DQ poses an interesting question.

What would you charge per pill?

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Depends on my costs of producing the machine that makes the pill. Depends on if I'm only making it or also making other things. Depends on lots of things but if $13.50 had been the going rate it would have to be more than that but not 5,000 percent more.

Since this is purely speculation, I'd guess somewhere between $45 to $75 a pill.

7. BTExpress

This is purely speculation, but I'm betting the great majority of people would rationalize ("I've got three kids to send to college, etc.") their way to charging whatever the market would bear. What it cost on Monday has nothing to do with what it should cost on Thursday. Just because somebody paid 1 cent for that Honus Wagner card you found in your attic doesn't mean you won't sell it for $200,000 if you can.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Except nobody dies if you charge $200k for some spoke noise.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. BTExpress

People can die if they don't have hundreds of thousands for an organ transplant.

That fact doesn't exactly do anything to reduce the costs of these procedures, however.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

This is the medical outrage of the week. Just wait until the NY Times writes about the high cost of cancer or HIV treatments.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This makes me think of the movie "John Q" where Denzel Washington's character holds an emergency room hostage in order to get some extremely expensive lifesaving transplant his insurance policy wouldn't cover.

12. BTExpress

We live in a world of $1,100 ambulance rides of fewer than 10 miles and $3,200 CAT scans that take less than 10 minutes.

Nothing can disgust me about our system beyond the disgust I already feel.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted