1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former FanHouse employee updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You sure about that $100,000 a year?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of one who got $120K a year when he was hired and gets a $10K raise each year of his three-year contract.
    I know of another who got $100K a year when he was hired and gets a $10K raise each year of his three-year contract.

I don't know about any of the others.

3. Mizzougrad96

That wasn't my point at all. As a lot of us (myself included) were losing our jobs, the top 1 percent were still leaving great newspaper jobs for Fanhouse and other websites.

Seeing those guys lose their jobs is a reminder to us all that even the best writers out there are being impacted by what is happening to journalism.

4. Mizzougrad96

Since good news is always a beautiful thing...

Chris Harry was hired to cover University of Florida basketball for the school's website.

With Scott Carter covering football and Harry covering hoops, I'd rather read the website than any of the papers that cover that place.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To somewhat repeat a theme on the "can a blog get me a job" thread, same thing. If one of the "names" had gotten a job with the school website two or three years ago, it would have been met with derision. Again, not so much anymore.

6. Mizzougrad96

I remember one of the Cincinnati Bengals writers left one of the Cincy papers to go to the team's website in 2003 or 2004 and everybody thought he was insane.

Now, most would take those jobs in a heartbeat over ones at a newspaper.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you'd rather read stuff from a site that could at any time curtail negative news about it?

8. Mizzougrad96

When it comes to Florida, you're not going to read negative stories in any of the papers that cover the team, so you might as well read Carter and Harry, who at least are top-level talent.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Haven't read anywhere about the number of arrests of Florida players. But we've sure read a lot about the misdeeds at other schools (say, Penn State), through the year[/crossthread]

10. Mizzougrad96

There are a lot of great writers who have covered Florida over the years. Some are now at ESPN. Some are at SI. Some are at TSN. Some are at CBS Sports and some are at NFL Network.

Chris Harry was better than all of them.

I know he and Carter aren't going to be doing investigative work there, but if I want to read game coverage, I know those two can do it pretty well.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wil echo everything said about Chris - always happy to see any of my FanHouse colleagues land somewhere and he is a giant talent. Too damn old to be a YFS but he's an FS for sure.

That said, not sure I agree about "no negative" with Florida. Don't have time to go look things up now. But when Rainey (?) got arrested, I remember a very good piece - Orlando, maybe - detailing the rather large number of incidents. And I read several stories on the rise of Cam Newton, before the money mess hit the fan, that talked about how he was tossed aside at Florida, that his transgression was seen by some as a way to get rid of him when others who were thought to be bigger talents were still there despite similar or greater troubles.

Anyhoo, congrats to Chris.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Mizzou, Bengals beat guy you talked about is Geoff Hobson. Great guy -- he's still with team, on Twitter at @geoffhobsoncin.

Draft saved Draft deleted