1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former CNN Anchor Aaron Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Do you miss former CNN anchor Aaron Brown? ::) I used to joke that no one benefitted more from 9/11 that Aaron Brown (turns out Rudy has), since he happened to be on the scene and did a serviceable job of leading CNN's coverage that day, and managed to parlay that into his own show for a while before he got shitcanned.

I thought he was pretty annoying and I haven't thought of this guy in years, but some dude on "America's Got Talent" (It's on mute, I'm listening to the radio and working on the computer) looked just like him -- I don't think on purpose. Anyway, here's a story I googled about him that says he's not a fan of today's cotton candy cartoon cable news. I'm glad to hear it.

http://ddunleavy.typepad.com/the_big_picture/2006/03/form_cnn_anchor.html

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not a fan (of Brown).

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the most part, I enjoyed him, the same way I enjoyed Jack Edwards on the Sunday morning SportsCenters. I know, here come the Jack Edwards jokes about the World Cup ...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's a nice change of pace guy to the hyper-activity required for a regular news slot. I think he made Anderson Cooper look good and without him, Cooper looks a little more like a lightweight.
    I never got the impression he had an axe to grind on the air, and that's what it takes in TV news these days.

and I also like Bill Patrick, Al Trautwig and Jim Kelly, but what do I know.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I kind of liked him. His lack of commitment guaranteed his main anchor gig wouldn't last long, though. He refused to leave the golf course when the space shuttle disintegrated on re-entry. That pretty much ended his national network anchoring career.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...is not dead.[/byh]

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I always liked the segment where he showed front pages from around the country at the end of his show. He was a noisy windbag, but I did like that small segment of his show

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He kind of grew on me on CNN. Don't think I could watch him every night, but he was a good change of pace.

9. Agreed. As someone in the newspaper business, I always thought it was cool of him to show what newspapers across the country were leading with the next day.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Brown exuded a certain dignity and decency that compensated for his sometimes, uh, unorthodox style. And he's got the right philosophy when it comes to journalism.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Not a fan. No big deal to me that's he's gone.

12. I liked him at first, because he seemed to be interested in good writing -- or, at least, writing that was different than the crap you usually hear on television. (The other day, CNN said the police were "literally scouring" the streets after the car bomb was detected in London.)

I think Brown got compliments from too many people because he ran with it and started sounding like a pompous windbag. He was insufferable. I just wonder if there's a happy medium -- a literate person who can speak to the masses. I can't think of a person like that on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted