1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Chargers safety Terrence Kiel dies after car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jul 5, 2008.

1. KP

KP Active Member

27 is a grown adult.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

In age, yes.

But I have a feeling this guy had a lot of growing up to do.

3. I don't understand why Shockey can't express his true feelings on a message board without people telling him not to click on the thread. It sounds like he has more knowledge on the thread topic than most people on here who blindly post the "RIP" just because he was a professional athlete.

I don't know Kiel much to feel either way, but generally I don't feel much sympathy for drunk drivers who died at their own hand. There's so many people who truly die tragic deaths who deserve and receive my sympathy, that I'm not going waste a tear on morons.

And 27 is not a kid.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't think he's going to hell for expressing his feelings or anything. It just seemed a little ... uncouth.

I tend to think anytime somebody dies at 27, it's a tragedy ... even if that tragedy is self-inflicted. People make mistakes, people make bad decisions. I'm uncomfortable vilifying them for it on the day they die. At least wait until the day after, ya know?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I was not trying to contradict you, Shockey. You have every right to feel the way you do about what this guy allegedly did and has done in the past. I actually respect the fact that you did not waste words or employ any bullshit sympathy for Kiel. My only point, because I do not know this person or his situation as you do, is that I will no longer deliver any moral judgment until the investigative pieces start to come together. As I said, I learned a lesson from Sean Taylor's death. And I still feel bad about that.

6. You are right. Twenty-seven is certainly not a kid. But to die at age 27 is to die extremely young. When I say that Kiel was wrong, I am not excusing his actions. I'm saying he died young. I think we can all agree on that, regardless of the circumstances of his death. Do I shed a tear for Kiel? Hell, no. Have I ever expressed a response similar to Shockey's when I hear of a particular person's death? Of course. But not in this case. But I didn't know Terrance Kiel. Maybe Shockey did. I'd like to know if his reaction to this news is in any way shaped by personal experiences with Kiel, because I think it would make me understand his sentiments more clearly. That's all I'm saying and I hope that doesn't seem like an attack on Shockey, because I've always enjoyed reading his contributions here.

Draft saved Draft deleted