1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Ann Arbor News building for sale for $9M

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Oct 15, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I agree that they should have been put under one roof, but even then, they wouldn't have filled the place. But, they wanted the separation, for people to not think that this was a way to drastically cut the number of employees and what they're paid. Yes, folks took a pay cut going to AA.com (a real shocker).

It is a perception thing - PR bullshit is right.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That is what I was told.

3. WolvEagle

Story update: Newhouse wanted $9.3 million; it appears to have gotten $7.57 million from the University of Michigan Credit Union (not affiliated with the university). I'm guessing it was because the old presses still were in the building.

The link:
    http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/financial-statement-gives-clue-about-purchase-price-of-ex-ann-arbor-news-building/

I don't know about you guys, but I find it quite odd that a columnist wrote speculation about her employer (same parent company). The company didn't want the price publicized; now it's been publicized.

Strange.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I believe they've started taking the old presses out. I've seen pictures, just don't remember where now.

Also, those presses that were in the building were inactive, as the News was being published off site in a brand spanking new facility before it closed.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Very cool building. Love the art deco reliefs.

6. WolvEagle

Yes, they're being taken out by a company that's selling the pieces for scrap metal.

The new facility still is in use for AnnArbor.com's print edition, the Jackson Citizen-Patriot and Michigan's edition of The New York Times, if memory serves. It's just south of the city, where The News' office was downtown and just a block away from the University of Michigan's Central Campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted