1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former ABC reporter John McWethy dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Feb 6, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Killed in ski accident today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4253571&page=1

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I always liked his reporting. RIP.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow too bad. Thought he always brought a real sense to gravitas to his work. Whenever Peter Jennings went to John Mcwethy at State you had sense that there was something serious going on in the world.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

For those who don't click on the link, these are great words:

"He was one of those very rare reporters who knew his beat better than anyone and had developed more sources than anyone and yet kept his objectivity," Westin added. "Jack's work made the people he covered value him, respect him, and always know that he would keep them honest. None of us will forget his memorable reporting on Sept. 11, 2001, when he had to evacuate the Pentagon and then continued to report live from the lawn nearby.

"I wish all of you could have been there for his 'retirement' party to see the highest levels of the Pentagon -- civilian and military -- come to express their respect and affection for Jack," Westin said. "But as fine a reporter as he was, he was just that fine a man. There was an essential goodness to him that permeated everything he did. He loved his profession, but he loved his family more. And he always had a powerful sense of need to help those around him."

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Mr. McWethy has a print background.

Worked with my dad in the early '80s.

RIP, Mr. McWethy.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. RIP.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Jesus, if you can, can you get your father to come here and tell us more?

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Mr. McWethy worked at U.S. News and World Report back in the day, Markvid.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Cool.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly what I thought. I can still hear Jennings' voice pronouncing his name. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted