1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I went into this with low expectations based on some kind of lame previews, and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it. Laughed my ass off. I'm not sure why I didn't think it would be great, because The Apatow Crew seems like it can do no wrong lately, but Jason Segel wrote a very funny script and Mila Kunis is a fox. Even the English rocker guy, which could have been a total cliche, was funny. Go see it. It's good stuff.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Question ...

Several reviews have hinted Segel does a Full Monty scene. As a fan of HIMYM, I'm not sure I want to see Marshall's penis. So should I cover my eyes at a certain part of the movie?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

4. Double Down

He's full frontal five minutes into the film. You have to admire Segel's courage. As for penises, I mean, c'mon, ever been in a locker room? It's visible for about three seconds.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ha Ha. You said penises.

That being said, I'm wondering if I should wait for FSM to hit DVD. It looks good, but in a "funnier if I watch it at home vs. in a large room of cocky teenagers". Worked for me for Juno.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. But there are just some things I don't want to see on a big screen. Genitalia of any type, for example, don't belong on a 25-foot HD screen.

7. Double Down

I'm just happy that R-rated comedies are back and profitable again. In the 80s, it was completely normal to have a movie with swearing and nudity and envelope-pushing humor get a wide release. Then Hollywood got scared off and everything had to be PG-13 in order to pull in the largest audience possible. Now Wedding Crashers, 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad and Sarah Marshall have proven that it doesn't have to be bland to make money. Imagine if our generation had to watch a watered down version of Caddyshack or Stripes.

Segel has a crazy, but hilarious, sense of humor. The Dracula stuff at the end is great.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

A lesson I learned all too well while watching Wild Things in the theater.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

And rightfully so. No one was prepared to see the "Bacon strip" in that movie.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm expecting good things from it, plus Kristen Bell's in it, so you can't go wrong there...

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was torn on this movie. I like Segel a lot, what I've seen of him (he was my favorite part of Knocked Up, one of my two favorite movies of last year) but Apatow stuff is so hit or miss for me and the trailer didn't grab me.

So thanks, DD. I trust you. I'll give it a shot!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Segel's naked and Kristen Bell isn't?

FAIL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.