1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgetting Sarah Marshall Thread, Take 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 21, 2008.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I saw FSM this weekend. It was pretty good. I didn't have high expectations. I questioned whether Segel was strong enough to carry a movie. Hader stole the movie for me (what little he was in).
    "You don't need to put your P in a V right now."
    "No, I need to B my L on someone's T's."

Like most comedies, it started out strong, but lost the funny near the end.

2. I agree. In fact, I thought Walk Hard was funnier than Knocked Up.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I thought the exact opposite actually. Maybe it was because many of the scenes from early in the movie were in the trailers I've seen 90 times, but I thought the movie got better as it went along.

Laughed my ass off pretty much from start to finish, though.

Mila Kunis: gorgeous.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I thought Walk Hard was funnier as well. Killer script. But Knocked Up was a far better movie...WH has its limitations due to its genre.

5. I can live with that assessment, but WH exceeded my expectations. KU fell far, far, far short of them.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I also agree. I also enjoyed seeing Steve Landesburg (sp?) as the doctor. He played my favorite character in Barney Miller, Lt. Det. Arthur Dietrich.

7. FSM was far superior to Superbad.

Carry on.

8. Me and the Future Missus just saw this.

We loved it. More belly laughs than Knocked Up.

May never be able to watch How I Met Your Mother the same after seeing Segal's wang on so many occasions.

Smart, funny flick. To reiterate what DD said, I loved how it avoided the cookie-cutter characterizations; the rock singer wasn't made out to be the bad guy of the flick, et cetera.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Better than Knocked Up... Not as good as Superbad...

Pretty funny though...

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wife and I saw it last night. In the lobby, we saw a woman with a baby and thought, damn, I hope she's not coming to our movie. Not only did she come to our movie, she sat two seats down from us. We moved. Hey, we paid a babysitter to get away from our kids, so we sure as hell didn't want to see anybody else's! :)

Agree, Russell Brand was spectacular. Great thing about making him likable is that in most movies, you see the "evil" new boyfriend and don't have any idea what the girl sees in him. At least you can understand why with Brand. I wanted to have sex with him by movie's end.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Whoo, did you go the wrong way there. Superbad might have been one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This, on the other hand, was surprisingly pleasant.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I finally got around to seeing Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
    It made the dollar theater and I had meant to go see it earlier and for reasons that I can't fully explain, I didn't.
    Anyway, it was good. really, really good.
    All movies require a certain suspension of belief and this movie had that, but not in spades like others. You could actually that the characters were fully formed. The bad guys weren't all bad guys, like the rock star who could have been a complete d-bag, but wasn't, the good guys weren't all good. She broke up with him because he was a mope and made mistakes, but she wasn't perfect either. She made mistakes as well.
    The characters seemed real, or at least as real as you would see on film.
    I liked that when he broke up with Sarah, he went out and had some one-night stands, because that's what you do. I
    Shit, I liked it so much I might go back this afternoon and watch it again. It is just a buck.
    Plus the interweb says Segel is writing the next Muppets movie.
    Count me in.

Draft saved Draft deleted