1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget cars... Can the Jetsons be coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 7, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7384788.stm

I love stories like this. I doubt this thing will take off (no pun intended), but it is a reminder that what everyone is focused on today is probably not where we are headed technologically. No one PLANNED for the automobile. It happened organically; people were pretty attached to their horses and carts. Just as whatever we are doing for transportation 50 years from now will probably be something we are barely even imagining today.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

And I think ALL technology works that way. Did anyone ever really imagine the Internet in the way it's evolved? Did medicine advance in the ways we imagined it would?

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This may be one point that is getting completely overlooked in today's search for more oil. In 20 or 30 or 40 years, we'll probably have all the excess oil we could possibly use because we'll be using something else to power our transportation needs. At a starting price of $132,000 I don't think the plane in this example is the answer, but it's a way to get us thinking on the right road.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know how expensive a computer was in 1970?

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Will penalties be harsher for FUI'S?

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It's 2008. About freakin time.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

'Desktop' computer of the 70s. With less computing power than what you're using to read this post right now.

[​IMG]

And let's not forget how the prices of consumer electronics in general start high, and then drop dramatically as the ability to mass produce is honed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The "flying car" idea has been around a long time. I'm holding out for a personal jetpack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

jgmacg on his way to work...

[​IMG]

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No outing!

whoooooooosh!

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Jet packs will never work. People will keep dropping their goddamned cell phones....

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Funny, a guy named Captain Kirk on a thread about flying cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted