1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign or domestic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 4, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In her case, isn't that foreign rather than domestic?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I know a lot of people, myself included, who've had good experiences with a Saturn.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This may or may not apply to this post.

I started in this business about two decades ago.
    I started retyping and confirming obits. Then in the evening I would sling horse agate.
    I had no idea where that would lead me, but even at the time, I had a fascination with layout and design. So, I was watching the composing room guys putting together the front page of Sports.
    Half-hour before deadline, layout guy sends out the centerpiece again, and asks the composer to cut out the the arm and ball above the quarterback's head. Looking -- at the time -- to spice up the centerpiece a bit.
    Some of you may remember those old composing rooms. They were hectic, barely a controlled chaos.
    Composer takes a look at the layout guy and deadpans:

"You can put a bow on a pile of shit. But, now all you have is a pile of shit with a bow on it."
    It was sound advice from a former truckdriver that I retell to my layout guys even today.

Back to Fords and Saturns...

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ford and Chevy still make solid trucks.

Mrs. t_b_f doesn't know it, yet. But she's getting a slightly used Volvo s60.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I've owned one Ford, two Isuzus and two Honda cars. I drive a Honda right now, but I'm in the very early stages of thinking about getting a new car and maybe not a Honda. Might go with a truck.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How about a Ridgeline?

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I take it you're not a Saturn fan?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh goodness, don't start. I drove my Mustang for six years and all I had to do was change the oil, put new tires on and changed the brakes in early Year 6.

The Escape seems to be going well so far. Eight months in ... I ride it rough, too ... one fog light is shattered and the windshield will need to be replaced next year.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Actually MacDaddy, the reason you can't find it is that it was custom made and imported from Germany. So you won't find any other ones like this one. There is such a thing and I am the only one who has the specific one because it was custom made. It looks like the M6 model but there are different features.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Foreign. Not even close. I may be mesmerized by the green bottles.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've owned three Mustangs and loved every one of them. The only one I had problems with (my '94 convertible) was fine until I brought it to a mechanic for some routine maintenence. He broke a bolt, then only drilled it out halfway. When he put the new bolt in, it didn't quite seal properly, leading my car to eventually overheat and crack the head gaskets. Fucker.

Anywho, it had 180,000 miles on it when I sold it to buy my 2005. My first Mustang had over 200,000 when I bought the '94.

In my experience, the talk of American cars being shit has come largely from my friends who have never owned one. I'm not saying there aren't problems with some of them, but I think you're better off reading consumer reports and looking at individual models rather than lumping them Foreign or Domestic.

Draft saved Draft deleted