1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Elite Squad (Brazil). Think The Shield meets Training Day on steroids.
    Stalingrad (Germany). Intense, brutal look at one of the greatest battle in the 20th Century.
    Das Boot (Germany). Enough said.
    District B13 (France). A "Holy Shit" of an action movie. One of the main characters (Cyril Raffaelli) produced some of his sick ass moves in Live Free or Die Hard.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A good gangster flick out of South Korea is City of Violence.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

City of God is one of my all-time favorites.
    There are some great recommendations on this board. Need to get started on some of these. I just wished the area I live in had an independent theater to actually see some of these movies.
    Saw Das Boot was listed a few times. It's been on TV recently, but never really thought about it. Guess I need to re-evaluate and give a view.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just watched 'Downfall'.

It's a dramatic re-telling of the final days of Hitler's life, mostly from the POV of one of the secretaries who was with him until the end. It portrays him as out of touch with reality in the end, and was historically accurate from what I know.

It's in German with subtitles, so I posted it here instead of the 'Last Move You Watched' thread.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Catherine Deneuve. [/foreignflicks]

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it qualifies since it was financed by Dreamworks, but The Kite Runner (by German director Marc Forster and set largely in Afghanistan) is pretty damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted