1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Funny to read this in the print mag weeks before it got out into the media. People really don't read print anymore.

The alleged boycott talk was ridiculous. It's one thing to blow off the Olympics by hiding behind a virus, but weaseling out of your national championship because of course setups would not go over well with fans or sponsors.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the boycott was more about money than course setup.

3. playthrough

Which would be even worse. Can you imagine?!

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Granted anonymity, it isn't too surprising that perhaps the most spoiled group of all professional athletes would bitch a lot.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

It's a stupid move for sure, especially as a first move. I understand their rationale though. the UGSA signed a 12-year $1.1 billion dollar deal with FOX which nearly tripled just the domestic television revenues and the organization's initial plan was to not to a thing with the prize fund. Now, you and I both know these guys make a ton to play golf - especially since Tiger arrived - but Fox certainly didn't pay all of that cash because they get huge ratings for interviews withDavid Fay and Mike Davis in their oxford shirts. At the end of the day I'm pro-labor, and people are tuning in to watch the labor, not the dorks in penny loafers.

Part of me wishes they would have boycotted. It would have been interesting to see who fell on what sides.

6. playthrough

And the USGA has done so much for the game with that windfall ...

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You should see how the USGA nickel and dimes us on some things at the Allied Golf Association level ... they're sitting on a war chest and are always trying to cut corners...

8. BitterYoungMatador2

And that's just the teevee revenues. They've inked a merchandising deal with Fanatics that I doubt is costing them money.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The positive of that TV deal is that it gives exposure to other USGA championships that would never be on television. Being able to watch the two Four-Ball championships, the Amateurs, the Junior Girls' and Junior Amateur, it's pretty cool, since those are the folks I deal with on a day-to-day basis here.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bump, so all things golf (minus The Open) aren't in the U.S. Open thread.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Can I ask a stupid question? How do the Champions Tour and the European Tour make money? Every time that I pop by their events on TV, there is virtually no crowd. And I can’t believe that the Champions Tour gets any sort of real TV ratings, even for their majors.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

Someone on here (May have been Playthrough) intimated that the PGA has been propping up the Champions Tour for years

Draft saved Draft deleted