1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game.
    Set.
    Match.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The one thing you will never hear a complaint about is how The Masters is run and how the course is setup.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It was Butler Cabin, not the Champion's Dinner. And it was Bubba Watson's first Masters.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He also tried to get into a dinner. Whether it was Cabrera's or Watson's is not the point.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

NBC is probably playing up the Augusta National Woman’s Amateur as something bigger than it is, but the number of competitive rounds of women’s amateur golf I’ve watched on television is now up to one. I’m sure I’m not alone.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wish they'd had all three rounds at Augusta National and that they hadn't patted themselves on the back so much for finally doing this in 2019, but it was really good final round and Kupcho and Fassi put on a great performance.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As great as it was for August to open the doors for women - might have picked a better weekend than going head to head with the Dinah in Palm Springs which allows amateurs to play and is a women's major. It's not like there are that many "big weekends" for women's golf - or that Augusta is all that busy most of the year.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They did it the weekend before the Masters because that's when the course is most ready and when it would get the most exposure. The LPGA event should've changed its dates for Palm Springs. Not pleasant for the organization, but practical. Or maybe it figured the Augusta event might create a carryover audience.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Why should a pro league have to adjust its schedule -- and one of its biggest events -- for someone else's limited-field amateur event? Especially in golf, that's not just as easy as picking another date. IIRC, the LPGA commish was rather blindsided by the announcement a year ago and said the right things publicly, but he had to be upset. I know that it's Augusta and "good for the game" and all, but the course could have hosted on any number of other weekends and received plenty of media attention as well as a perfectly playable course.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The pro league should consider changing its schedule because the other institution will get the bigger audience, just like college football schedules bowls to avoid conflict with the NFL. Hell, the men's Tour changed its whole schedule, including one of its majors, to avoid conflict with the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted