1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Played the Copperhead Course at Innisbrook when I was down there for the IAGA conference in November. Started the Snake Pit by slamming a ball into the water off the tee. Went to drop where it crossed into the hazard (old Rules of Golf terminology!) and there was an alligator just chilling there. Decided to take some further back on the line relief, thank you.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ever see the old Peter Arno New Yorker cartoon where the golfer is attempting to play a ball lodged in a gator's mouth while his caddy has its jaws pried open with a long iron? Caption is partner saying, "oh, just play another."

Chef2 and Cosmo like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did Oosthuizen become an American citizen? NBC showing him on the leaderboard with a USA logo.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I love match play.

MileHigh and qtlaw like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love match play too, but this event sucks. The Wednesday of the old Accenture Match Play was arguably the most fun day in golf outside the majors and Ryder Cup, with 32 matches and 32 guys going home. It was really something when Tiger in his prime got sent home by Nick O'Hern, kinda wacky when a match went to the 23rd hole (which you'd never see in Ryder/Pres Cups, obviously). The weekends could be a dud, but that's sports. But then Accenture left as sponsors and the Tour completely bent over for Dell. Moving the event to Austin was cool, but this pod system is not. The sponsor and TV love Tiger playing three matches, but the drama is gone.

Dell even recently asked for the format to be tweaked further, with 32 players advancing from match play to a 36-hole stroke play weekend, but the Tour's policy board thankfully shot that down.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I get it, they're paying a ton of money for the event and they want the players to play as much as they can. I read, maybe Ferguson, there was talk of tweaking it so just the back nine is used so players would be by the corporate tents more often.

I get the pod system. It's needed. As for the knockout stage, since they're only 64 guys, make them all play the weekend.

So the 16 winners go to a knockout stage for the top 16 spots. 17-32 knockout for those spots. 33-48 for those spots. 49-64 for those. Your placing and earnings and FedEx Cup points are then aligned that way.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Why did they change the terminology from "halve" to "tie?"

8. Michael_ Gee

Complaints from TV, no doubt

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's written that way in the new Rules of Golf. It's going to take some time for our officials/referees to get used to that.

10. Michael_ Gee

The why was this done remains a mystery.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The one out is much like March Madness, upsets are great but sometimes you end up with VCU v. James Madison in Elite 8 or Final Four which is less than attractive for most. The thrill of O'Hern knocking out Woods is gone, but the final 16 has more big names and those matches have the same if not greater anticipation. So you lose the front end thrills but get the same thrills on weekend.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sorry, I disagree. I love seeing Loyola of Chicago in the FF; Butler making the Final when they are fresh.

An O'Hern in the match play final is always a snoozer.

Draft saved Draft deleted