1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Your Consideration: The under-appreciated greatness of Cheers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 2, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not my favorite episode, but everything I know about Albania came from Coach. When Sam and him went back for their high school degrees, and they are studying geography, Coach was trying to help Sam study, and he sang the diddy below (which I still remember) to the tune of When The Saints Go Marching In:

"Albania. Albania. You border on the Adriatic. Your land is mostly mountainous. And your chief export is chrome."

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sam had a better role when he was the horndog boss to Diane. He was cuckolded by having Rebecca as his boss, and so I thought the power dynamic made for funnier situations with Sam/Diane. Not to say that the later stuff wasn't funny, but Sam was funniest when he had the most swagger. My two cents, at least.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Five seasons of Sam vs./with Diane was great.

11 seasons would have been a few too many. It had run its course.

The show's dynamics kept changing, and it adapted well. How many shows "jump the shark" when a character leaves or arrives?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. The entire tenor of Cheers changed when Diane left, and the show simply evolved and, to some, improved. That's remarkable.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Who can ever look at the floor of the Boston Garden and not wonder how many bolts are in it?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That oral history was awesome. Thanks for posting that link.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A few of my Cheers faves:

The Bar Wars, especially the one where Sam recruits Kevin McHale as a basketball ringer.

The first episode with Rebecca, where the gang gets rid of the new bartender by getting him to make a "Screaming Viking." Then, as the bar chants "Screaming Viking, Screaming Viking!", Cliff, who hadn't been seen the entire show, comes out from the pool room and orders one.

The episode where Sam gets locked out of his apartment at night, and goes around to everyone asking for a place to sleep. He gets so desperate, he even goes to Cliff's.

Cliff trying to hook up with his GF, only he goes blind.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved the one where Gary's was getting ready to show some big PPV fight but the Cheers gang wired their signal so they got An Evening of Poetry with Norm Peterson and Clifford C. Clavin.

And John Hill was one of the great latter-day characters on that show.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good series. Excellent story.

Thanks, DD. Still prefer M*A*S*H at top of 30-minute comedy lists, but Cheers is worthy nevertheless ...

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loved MASH but I don't know if Cheers ever went for the big shit MASH did over its last few seasons.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There were certain things overdone, to be sure; the crying out of "Norm!" was no better than Jimmie Walker getting his "Dy-no-mite!" into each episode of Good Times, and there was a certain repetitiveness to the dimwittedness of Woody, the obnoxiousness of Cliff, the prickliness of Carla. That said, they were very engaging characters who made you care. And Rebecca's replacing Diane did for Cheers what the additions of Hunnicutt and Winchester did for M*A*S*H: made it a somewhat more mature, complex show that was still quite humorous, just in a different way. I think the best-written comedy ever, Frasier, was the logical next step for the Cheers creative team.

12. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I have the exact same, very vivid memory of Coach's song in that episode.

Ragu, sometimes I believe we are the yin/yang of SportsJournalists.com posters. I'll let others decide which one of us posts longer/more often.

DD, thanks for linking to the oral history. I saw it on a friend's FB page last week and thought it was a great read. I did not watch the later "Cheers" years as religiously because I was generally in a TV-free life zone (late college, then first few years out) but I agree it's one of the alltime greats. As someone who now tries to ply my trade in that realm, it is also very instructive. I appreciated and agree with the quotes from Schur, Amy Poehler and Shawn Ryan (creator of "The Shield").

And just in general, oral histories for TV shows and movies I've enjoyed are almost always a great read, such as the Grantland ones on "White Man Can't Jump," "Friday Night Lights" and WFAN radio, the SI ones on "Bull Durham" and "Major League," etc. Also the "Saturday Night Live" book. It's a great format for behind-the-scenes tales, which is exactly what you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted