1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For tweet's sake: Of Robinson Cano, suspensions and shaky sourcing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He protected it after the incident. In the hours after anyone could view it.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's always kind of enjoyable, in my opinion, to see a news investigative person who almost certainly looks down their nose at sports journalists (or at the very least feels privately superior to us) try to pull off a sports story and fall on their face.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Your rule generally holds true, but there are exceptions: I'm pretty sure this place had news of Raffy Palmeiro's test before it hit the media, way back when.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Hope it's fiction, but have any of these ever been wrong in the end?

5. acharlotteobserver

acharlotteobserver New Member

This guy falls on his face a lot.
    Sports or not.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree completely. If I was his boss, I'd fire his ass unless he showed me proof and I could confirm it. This isn't a trade or a benching or an "Oops, we got bad info. Sorry." kind of thing.

Unfortunately, this mentality will continue to escalate with the continued push to "digital first" and social media. A mindset already exists of "Just post it and we'll fix it as we go along" - I heard that 4-5 years ago in our newsroom. It isn't just troubling; it's completely against the grain of the standards and professionalism of journalism and reporting.

If you're writing a 49-inch Sunday takeout, a 15-inch gamer, a 140-character tweet or one of multiple online posts, GET IT RIGHT and don't fuck around with "It's just a tweet, we can get a do-over."

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That mindset pre-dates the internet. I knew TV guys 20+ years ago who operated under a "run it, worry about it later" mindset.

Draft saved Draft deleted