1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those that cover a college or professional team, do you order cable packages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Apr 4, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Was wondering this while catching some late season NHL games. If you're a beat writer or columnist, do you shell out for the sport-specific cable package in an attempt to keep up with the league and study the rest of teams in your league(s) and/or conference(s)?

2. MoeLarryCurly

MoeLarryCurly New Member

Cover college and yes I do. Luckily the conference the team I cover is in I don't need to buy any package to watch the other teams, but I will DVR games of the next week's opponent for my beat to watch them, maybe pick up a thing or two from the TV announcers to focus on.

I will also DVR the game I am at and sometimes rewatch it cliff notes style, maybe make a note during the game of an important moment and fast forward to it or something like that.

I also do the bookmark thing with newspapers and sites that cover the teams in the conference and I will sometimes try to listen to the weekly coaches' show on the radio if possible.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Had Extra Innings when I was covering the bases (and still do).

Moved on to colleges and did the exact thing Moe spoke of.

Never tried to get the paper to pay for it, not that they would have.

Draft saved Draft deleted